Clutch replacement difficulty? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 25th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Clutch replacement difficulty?

I'm happy enough digging around under the hood of a car. Water pumps, alternators, even head gasket jobs are no real big deal. I'm scared as hell of transmissions though. I've never touched them and have always let the 'experts' do it. I resolved to all the work on my own truck when I got it and have done well. I've only dropped it at the shop once after it was running rough after the head gasket job. Pays to not swap your 1 and 2 distributor wires. : My clutch is on its last legs at 120,000 miles and is getting close to needing replacement, definitely before wheeling season in Texas starts up again. (Like how that works? Our wheeling season ends just as y'all up north starts. It's just too damn hot to go wheeling in 95+ degree heat with high humidity Our wheeling season starts again around September and ends around late May.)

Just how difficult is a clutch replacement and can it be done in a weekend in the driveway with a couple friends and some time? It doesn't look too difficult but I have no idea what I'm in for. I figure I can make it into a 'Tech Day' for the local Rover club chapter it looks like I'm about to be named V.P. of. I'll show you how to change your oil, you help me change a clutch.
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

It's not too hard, the worst is dropping the tranns and T-case as they are heavy. Things to help you along would be to remove the tuffy box and inspection plate under it and to make things real easy remove the floor boards and tranns tunnel. It is a far easier job then the head gasket other then the stuff is bigger and heavy. You may want to get a clutch alignment tool to make it easier putting it back together. I didn't use one but I did mine when I puled the engine out so reassembly was a bit easier.
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:53 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Nope it's not too hard. floor out, transmission tunnel out. then you can attack the job in two ways,
1) have the engine out
or
2) drop the transmission

I've dropped the transmission twice lately to do and redo the clutch/ rebuild the transfer box, theres a lot of disassembly on the drop the transmission route.
See D'Oh clutch slip for some pics of how I went about it

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...5&page=1&pp=15

Here's how I got the transmission out first time round. The seatbox is a so n so to remove.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...achmentid=3392

With a tdi engine, LT77 main box and LT230 transfer box I realised the second time that if you remove the Hi/Low & diff lock lever from the top of the transmission you can remove the gear and transfer boxes in 1 go without removing the seat box which saves a major amount of grief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
Nope it's not too hard. floor out, transmission tunnel out. then you can attack the job in two ways,
1) have the engine out
or
2) drop the transmission

I've dropped the transmission twice lately to do and redo the clutch/ rebuild the transfer box, theres a lot of disassembly on the drop the transmission route.
See D'Oh clutch slip for some pics of how I went about it

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...5&page=1&pp=15
Reading that thread it may just be that I need to adjust the clutch. I replaced the master cylinder a few weeks ago. Maybe a nut slipped on the adjustment rod and only needs to be put back in place. I'll try that tonite and keep my fingers crossed. The tranny was replaced in this 20,000 miles ago(with another LT77. Why would you put another LT77 in when you could put in an R380 for about the same cost?), before I bought it, and I'd assumed they did the clutch then so maybe it's not the clutch itself.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, clutch