Clutch/press plate question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:23 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
Clutch/press plate question

Hi guys. Got my gearbox out. Pulled off the clutch to inspect it. How do you know if the pressure plate & clutch need replaced? The truck had a new clutch & slave 33k miles ago. I took out the gearbox because the output sheared. The throw out bearing has a bit of play so that is getting replaced.

Thanks again. When i am done i will do a complete step by step write up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2012, 08:24 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
The fingers had a groove wore in about 1/4 the thickness in the pressure plate. The springs are loose on the clutch disc. The flywheel looks smooth. No grooves in it. Before the gearbox died it shifted smooth & did not slip. The T.O.B has a bit of play in it just like a worn bearing
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:42 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

sounds like pressure plate, disc and bearing are all ready for an early replacement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2012, 08:54 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
Thats what i figured... Part of me wants to just keep running it to get a few more miles out of it. Because had the gearbox not gone out i'd still be driving it you know? plus its been two weeks without it (boo hoo) But the other part of me knows better....
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:16 AM
Naplm00
Matthew

def, the good part is that the disc plate and bearing are pretty cheap. The new pressure plate should come with a new bronze pilot bushing as well. I used a moly disulfide grease to grease the pivot and the bearing sliding surface, I also put copper antiseize on the bronze pilot bushing

While you have it apart you may also want to weld a small reinforcement plate on the clutch fork pivot. Will keep you from pulling it apart again

http://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk...rk-002_004.jpg
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:22 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
my truck has the cast iron fork. by pilot bearing i assume you also mean the throw out bearing? i know to lube the bearing on the carrier and had thought about putting a bit of grease between the bearing and the pressure plate. i just looked at DAP's site and a complete clutch kit is pretty reasonable. do you suggest getting the flywheel turned regardless of how it looks if i change the clutch? the flywheel has no grooving or dark wear marks on it.
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:31 AM
Naplm00
Matthew

Ah i assumed TDI

never mind the reinforcement then.

I would lube the throw out bearing sliding surface on the carrier and the pivot point with some hi pressure grease.

The bronze bushing will come in one of the boxes in the clutch set, it is installed int he end of the crankshaft and the input shaft of the trans rides on it.

looks like this : http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...T-BUSHING.html

I had mine turned it was in shitty greasy shape. Because of the tapered dowles pressrf in, it can be a pain in the ass.
if it is smooth to the touch with no visible discoloration and no steps int the face, i would leave it.

See this thread:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...el+resurfacing

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch