Clutch Pedal Sticking - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 7th, 2004, 10:31 AM
whitelandy
Andrew Tokarz

Clutch Pedal Sticking

I washed my truck last night. Sprayed my engine with an engine degreaser. Washed it off with a low pressure hose. Moved the truck back in the garage and noticed the clutch pedal sticking. Sticking occurred again on the drive in to work. I used my foot to pull it back. I am assuming that spraying water on the engine is not the smartest thing to do.

There are no fluid drips inside by the pedal. I have not checked the MC for any leakage yet. MC was replaced 1 1/2 years ago (about 10k miles). Maybe I am just low on fluid.

When spraying the water could I have washed off some lubrication?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have had my engine under water and have sprayed it a number of times with the hose and pressure washer and it never had any effect on the clutch. I would say to check the fluid level and look for a leaking MC and slave.
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:46 AM
whitelandy
Andrew Tokarz

Dang....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL, it's not that bad, check the fluid level and report back.
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:13 AM
whitelandy
Andrew Tokarz

Ok, just checked the fluid level and it is fine. There is a slight hint of fluid on the clutch pedal arm.

I pumped the pedal 3 times. On the 2nd and 3rd it stuck. I then pumped it 20 times and it returned fine.

Could I have air in the line?

Last night while cleaning the passenger area I did notice a small black piece of plastic that fell down while cleaning the pedals. Maybe a centimeter long. Not sure where it came from. But it looks melted or worn. I can take a picture of that tonight.
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

The clutch pedal sticking could be the result of a few things. More than likely a slave or master cylinder issue. As already mentioned, check the fluid level because its easy to do. If it contiunes to stick then you will need to dig deeper. The slave and MC operate essentailly as a piston, whereas when the pedal is pressed, it forces fluid out of the cylinder and into the line creating pressure to move the pressure plate. When the pedal is depressed, a spring (one in the slave and one in the MC) force the plunger back. A O ring slides along the surface of the cylinder. If the cylinder walls get scratched (by moisture and contaminates being absordbed brake fluid) then you more than likely will see dripping fluid around one or both. Another cause could be a weakend spring. I have accually had one break and begin to coil around itself. I noticed the pedal wasn't coming back and it contiuned to get worse over the course of a few weeks until finally nothing. Lets us know!

Troy
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:38 PM
whitelandy
Andrew Tokarz

I dug around with a flashlight. I added just a tad of clutch fluid. No dripping anywhere. The slight moisture that I mentioned earlier appears to be some goo, kinda like grease. I assume to help the pedal move freely. There is very very little of it.

That little piece of melted plastic is nothing. Looks like there is some extra plastic coating up in the pedal tunnels.

I think I may have found the problem....I hope.

When I was cleaning the inside of the truck last night I removed the floor mat and probably disturbed the cardboard matting located over the pedals. I have no idea why they use cardboard down there.

Anyways, I bet I moved the cardboard to where when you press the clutch pedal it sticks on the board. Now, I did remove the cardboard at work today when reporting to you so I could see more of that area. My cardboard piece is torn and worn.

I drove 15 miles home and did not experience any sticking. I just pumped the clutch 30 times here at home and no sticking.

So....is the cardboard the culprite? This seems too easy.
Old October 8th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Pray that it is the cardboard but be prepaired for the worst.
Old October 8th, 2004, 10:23 AM
whitelandy
Andrew Tokarz

Drove another 15 miles to work....no issues.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch