Clutch Master/Slave Issues - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 31st, 2013, 10:03 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Outcome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
An inspection later this evening will probably confirm that you are correct.
Did you resolve this issue?
What was the solution?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I'm a week late on replying to close the loop on this thread. Hopefully, this will provide some advice later on down the road for anyone experiencing similar issues.

Basically, the hydraulics were fine (worn and chaffed slave cylinder, but still servicable). THey (all hydraulics) were nonetheless replaced with new.

Okay, so as it turns out, one of the pivots/fulcrums of the clutch fork was damaged. The pivot pin had fallen out either from being forced or simply fell out, so that makes sense given the "feel" of the clutch when I originally described it as being able to half-depress the clutch. Anyway, it appears as though the throwout bearing had rotated itself 180 or so degrees and maybe that event is what damaged the clutch fork pivot. Hard to say really, but that was the problem.

While in there, it was also discovered that a small peice of the bellbousing (about the size of a quarter - the inner part of the thread/stud hole) had cracked and fallen into the inside of the bellhousing, so perhaps that debris caused something to grab in the trowout bearing. Again, hard to say because that small piece could have been sitting in there held to the inner wall of caked clutch material and oil.

Incidentally, the clutch fork end (where the pushrod sits) was not worn or damaged at all, yet the entire fork was replaced anyway.

So, the sum total of all of this is that we now have a new clutch, new master/slave, newly resurfaced flywheel, new rear main seal.....oh and new belhousing too.

Hopefully that brings closure to this issue and adds to the possibilities when any of you are diagnosing this type of issue. From a worst case scenario perspective, this was about as bad as it could get (clutch-wise). FAR MORE COMPLICATED THAN I HAD ORIGINALLY SPECULATED.

Many thanks to Robert and Bill and others for their input on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2013, 05:13 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Can you post the rear main seal part # ? I need to do mine to stop the only leak I have on the 90.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
Can you post the rear main seal part # ? I need to do mine to stop the only leak I have on the 90.
Sorry, don't have the P/N
You have a 300Tdi in a NAS 95? Nice
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:58 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

no std V8 - missed the 300tdi part so i'll have to hunt it down
just call me observant

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old July 11th, 2016, 04:25 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Going to revive this thread... to post a fix i found.

I need to get a clutch line on my hybrid build to my r380 clutch slave

Clutch master has a 3/8-24 port. Very common brake fitting size. I'm using 3/16 hard line to take it from the clutch master to the trans tunnel (or just above).

Then i am use a 3/8-24 female to male adapter from pegasus racing, with a mount:
p/n LA45288 4AN Brake Fitting with Frame Tab, Weldable or Rivet Mount

To connect to a flex line:
p/n 4-21-S-90 21 inch Size 4 TFE Hose, Straight to 90 degree

Then to a male to male adapter that threads into the slave port:

p/n 3265-59 Male 12 x 1.0mm Metric Convex Seat to 4AN Male, Steel

My clutch slave has a 12x1.0mm port. This apparently is odd and not OEM. Probably b/c my slave is aftermarket. Also - i am using a crush washer as a seal since the port is very deep and no adapter I found is long enough to seal on the port seat. Per Pegasus racing the crush washer is a perfectly acceptable seal.

All in was $51 shipped. And the quality is probably much better than anything in a LR box.

Will post pics in my build thread when done. Hope this is helpful to some
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, master, slave