Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder Hydraulic Leak Merged Threadfest - Page 9 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 29th, 2007, 03:18 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
+ 2 hard lines. All are cheap, like under 20 bucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOD77
Can I do any damage by just feeding it fluid and waiting until all the parts come in?
If you need to drive it while waiting for parts, keep a bottle of Castrol GT LMA hydraulic fluid in your truck just in case your level gets too low. I just replaced all clutch hydraulics...it went well although the master cylinder was an SOB to replace...I had to remove the driverside fender to get to it. Also, I replaced the two 8mm bolts holding the MC to the clutch box with 2 stainless steel carriage bolts, that way it will be easier to remove next time.

BTW, be careful when removing the SC not to pull the shaft out of the throwout barring plate...

Good Luck...

Old January 3rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

where did you guys buy your master and slave cylinders? Mine just started leaking into the cab today, so will go ahead and fix next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2008, 01:16 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
George.

Old January 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Rovers North

Old January 4th, 2008, 12:13 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

I just ordered everything from george at RDS. $172 plus s/h everything is in stock I should have it in 3-5 days. he's the man!!
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
report back
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
BTW, be careful when removing the SC not to pull the shaft out of the throwout barring plate...

What is the best way to avoid this???
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old January 5th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Remove the two bolts fastening the SC to the bell housing and slowly pull it out far enough to grip the shaft with a pair of needle nose pliers (I wrapped the ends of the needle nose pliers with electrical tape to avoid marring the shaft). Then continue to pull the SC free...

Cheers...

Old January 6th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Overland90
Chris
95/D90 #169; Aston Martin

Registry
I just replaced the C Master 3 weeks ago at 45,000 miles on my 95 D90.

I found a new OEM Clutch master on British EBAY. $32 TOTAL delivered to my door in California (10 days). Took me 3 hours to replace. Next time it will take about an hour.

Start by removing the bonnet...very easy...15 minutes.

Remove the bolts holding the Brake Master (under hood) and the brake pedal assembly bolts (inside driver...6 bolts total inside?). Move to the side (left) and this will give you more access to the Clutch Master.

Inside driver remove bolts holding clutch pedal assembly. This will free up the C Master and allow you to rotate out through the very small cut out for and extract from above. Use a pair of sheet metal cutters to cut a small notch if the pedal wont pass through.

Install new C Master, bleed and no more fluid.

Sounds tedious...really not.

Best...
Old January 6th, 2008, 08:35 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Well, I changed mine last year (it was only 1 1/2 years old).........
It was leaking a few drops under the pedal each week.
It took me 14 hours of work (8 the first day, 6 next day).
I painted everything again an changed all bolts to stainless.
The setting at the end take a little time. You need to set 2
different freeplays, 1 on the rod and 1 on the pedal.
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

So, as predicted, my little "situation" goes south VERY quickly! As advised I started carry some fluid and a small funnel with my all the time. I've had to use it a couple of times already. I could easily see how much worse it was/is getting by how fast it was/is drinking. So, there I am driving home this evening and BANG. Dead pedal. Dead. Done. Stuck your ass in the middle of the road, at 5:15pm, at a green light, with plenty of people around to let me know I wasn't going and the light was green kind of done! They do this by blasting their horns! Dicks. I Get off the road, by pushing said dead pedal down with all my weight and trying to jam the bitch into gear, which produces a roll that was barley noticeable except for the fact that the dicks and their horns all left. I top off and smoke a cigarette (I know it's going to kill me ) And as I'm contemplating what my next move is, pressure in the clutch pedal just like that, like magic. So after a couple more smokes and some swearing, followed by some interesting stares from some people passing by, I decide to wing the last 10 or so miles home and just not shift. I get up into 4th and stay there. Doing about 45-50 and timeing all the lights. I pull into the driveway and just before entering the garage, I hit 1st gear and park it.
HOME AT LAST!!!

Now once the parts get here I can either throw it on the car trailer and tow it to the mechanic's shop, or grab a sixer and have some fun and do it myself. By the way, the point of this post is to advise those who put this off just how fast it can go from bad to worse and also to vent my frustration.

I will report back upon completion of project, weather I do it myself or pay to have it done.
Thanks for all the advice, warnings and, for listening. (or reading)

AMEN
Old January 9th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Grover
Mike

Registry
That sucks! Happens to the best of us...keep your old master cylinder and slave cylinder and rebuild them, i.e. with new seals, that way you have spares handy

BTW, be sure to use Castrol GT LMA fluid

Old January 9th, 2008, 08:04 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

yup, that's what I was using. Was working fine for like 2 weeks but boy did it shit the bed real fast.
Old January 9th, 2008, 08:12 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If it makes you feel any better, my truck here in Russia just spat clutch fluid all over my floor mat. No warning on this one. Thats my reward for predicting your misfortune...

Old January 9th, 2008, 09:42 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

don't view it as punishment Jim, you were just trying to warn me and keep me from getting stranded somewhere!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
justinaldi
justin aldi
none

clutch fluid leak

Any ideas where clutch fluid would be leaking other then the master? I have been losing clutch fluid daily, but don't see any drips on the driveway nor is the mater leaking? any ideas?

thanks
JUstin
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Check the floor on the driver's side
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Scroll down a bit on the page, and you'll see the "similar threads" listing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dead Horse.gif
Views:	364
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	11817  

Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Leaking Clutch

Man, tough crowd. My slave cylinder starting leaking. Dripped onto the exhaust pipe and evaporated so no drips on the driveway. If there's nothing on the driver's side mat, I'd check the slave next.

There is also a rubber hose between the master and slave cylinders. Check there too. If ANY of the three (master, slave, hose) are bad, I recommend replacing all three together. I replaced the slave and two days later the master failed. I've heard this happens often.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, master, slave