Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder Hydraulic Leak Merged Threadfest - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 11th, 2007, 12:12 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
THere is a place that will bore out and sleeve your cylinders with brass. The price is reasonable, and you get a product that will last forever compared to the cast aluminum stocker.

now if I could just remember the name of the place.... : (

~Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2007, 03:10 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Sierra Specialty Automotive...

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...5&postcount=18
Old August 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

I think the key step is to pre-lube the MC with break fluid prior to install. The first one I replaced I forgot to do it an it failed in less than a year. Second one, I did it and it's lasted years.

now that I've typed this, I'll probably have to replace it tomorrow.
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Thanks for the insight. the shop I had do the work overlooked a few things. I am going to replace the MC and the flex hose anything else to think of while I am in there regarding the clutch?
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Ray Bone
Ray Bone
defender.

master cyl

I have to replace my master clutch cyclinder, do i have to remove the fender to do this?

Thanks
bone
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:55 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

No, just takes a bit of twisting & turning to get out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
no. I saw it done. Should replace the flex hose and slave cyliner also. Dont ask me how I know.

Follow-up Post:

How many miles on your truck?>
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Speaking about the devil ...

By the way what is the difference between the standard master cylinder and the Lucas Girling one ?

Quality ?

Performance ?

Hmmmmm ?

Anyone ?

Thanks

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:34 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Lucas Girling was the OEM.
Old September 15th, 2007, 02:32 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Clutch Hydraulics

Ok, on the way back from the National Rallye my clutch stopped disengaging. No fluid on the floormat so....

I replaced the slave cylinder and bled the system. Everything seemed to be ok. I was gone for a week, and when I got home there was fluid all over the mat. Clutch is still working. Would replacing the slave cylinder cause an iffy master cylinder to fail? Or did I just not get the cap on the master cylinder right and it overflowed into the interior?
Old September 15th, 2007, 04:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Yes, this happened to me. replace the flex line while you are at it.
Old October 5th, 2007, 12:31 AM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

clutch push rod

I am replacing my slave cylinder and I can not figure out how to put the push rod and clip onto the throw out fork??? What is the trick.
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM
epninety
Dave Haynes
Ibex 240 2.8TGV

The trick was not to remove it in the first place

It's happened to me a few times though...
Last time I took a scalpel to the clip and bevelled the 'fingers' to make it easier to push onto the arm. Then put the pushrod in place and hold with one finger, while sliding the clip down the shaft with the other hand, and clip into place with fingertips or with a screwdriver.

Fiddly but not impossible.
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:17 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

I was at work (firestation) when I did the hydrolics and I was up until 1 am, but I finally got it on. I have some issues now with the throw out fork. When I took the slave off it all came out together and it looked bad (the cylinder boot that is).

thanks

brian
Old December 12th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Soft/Sinking Clutch Pedal

In the last couple of days I've noticed that on occasion my clutch pedal will easily depress two thirds of the way down with little to no pressure before becoming firm. If I disengage and re-engage it feels normal? A new clutch, pressure plate, bearing, surface flywheel and a slave seal kit was installed less than a year ago between the 2.5na/LT77 and there is only a couple of thousand miles on the whole thing. I have no idea of the age of the master cylinder which is full and is not leaking but looks very clean.

Any ideas on what this might be?

Thanks
Chris
Old December 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

does your floor behind the pedal feel wet? mushy usually means master/slave is leaking
Old December 12th, 2007, 01:23 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Did you check your fluid level? Could be leaking, it sounds like you have air in the system.
Old December 12th, 2007, 02:46 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
A re-seal kit isnt necessarily the best solutuion for a slave or master since they are both super-cheap to replace. Also, sometimes you dont know the slave is leaking because it can leak into the bellhousing. The good news is that if something is wrong, the condition won't persist long because the cylinder will fail quickly (probably within a week).

Bleed it again, if its not getting better, I would just order all the pieces of the hydraulic system and replace them all for good measure. George at RDS will have the stuff, dont pay RN prices. May as well order the hardlines and flex line too since they are cheap and easy to replace when everything is apart, but a pita to replace later.

Old December 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Jim,

Thanks,
Chris
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:34 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Unhappy Clutch Leak??

About 3 weeks ago the clutch pedal goes to the floor.....could barely get into gear. Checking of the reservoir leads me to discover no fluid.....none.....bone dry. Addition of fluid regains clutch pressure. All is well in defender world.
3 days ago while trying to find a certain rattle that's been driving me nuts, I notice some burnt up drips of something on the cat. I pay this tell tale sign of leakage no mind. While heading to the office this morning no clutch pressure again....had to turn around and switch cars.....luckily I keep a spare on hand. Now as I recall on several occasions over the last couple of weeks I have smelt some burning but was unable to tell what it was. So the question is this, (sorry for the long post I'm venting) before I go out and replace master and slave cylinders and the clutch lines is there a way to find this leak??
My garage floor is dry, in that area anyway, and it seems to my weak powers of deduction that this leak only presents itself when the engine/fluid gets hot. Even when the engine is hot and I pull into the garage there is not fluid on the floor. So do I play parts changer or mechanic this weekend???

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, master, slave