Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder Hydraulic Leak Merged Threadfest - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Thumbs up RE: flex line part# NRC2211

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrchuck
The flex line part# NRC2211 is in stock for $24.79 at Rovers North. Just rec'd mine this weekend. I should have everything done by tomorrow...now the fun part...how to get the rover to the shop...

Aha! Thanks much!
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
rvrchuck
Chuck Hester
1995 D90

Registry
No problem.

I got the 90 back on the road this evening and WHOA nelly, that sucker must have been going south for a while. I have MUCH more clutch than I can ever remember. All buttoned up and back in the garage. Bring on the snow, I'm ready.
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Want to add some info. to put all the part numbers in one thread. Based on the tech articles and advice, I am replacing the two hard-lines that are also between the MC and slave along with the flex line. The long hard-line is part number NRC8329 and the short hard-line is NRC577643.
Rovers North said it was the same parts for a NAS 94 and 95.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2007, 10:00 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
I am replacing the two hard-lines that are also between the MC and slave.
What's the reason to replace the hard lines?

Found out today that my master cylinder is leaking.. :-(

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand

Planning on getting the master cylinder repair kit.
But I will probably get a slave cylinder (repair kit is more than half the price of new).

Any advice/comment?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand

Follow-up Post:
Planning on getting the master cylinder repair kit.
But I will probably get a slave cylinder (repair kit is more than half the price of new).

Any advice/comment?
Loic,

Reason? School of hard knocks and research. I did extensive research (on the board) before I decided to have the entire clutch hydraulics redone. It comes down to this - Highly recommended by the board to do all at once because of longevity, and "part creep" (Finding out in succession that what you thought was the problem wasn't, so you move on to the next - tying up your truck (down time) and making a mess each time.)

I also paid to have mine done, so I wanted to have Jeff fix it all at once. My plan is to touch everything that is needed, once, and to do it right. Next is oil cooler lines and then stainless steel brake lines (the whole system) from ECR.

Don't know if that helps or not...Just my opinion.

"Smart people learn from their mistakes - Wise people learn from other people's mistakes."
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:19 AM
JakeW
Walt
2015 range rover evoque

Good plan on not getting the rebuild kit for the slave. I bought the original rebuild kit from rovers north (part # RNC917) for the slave and it has failed twice since I put it in. It's only been a week. The kit's parts are not identical to the ones that come out and don't look as nice as the old stuff. Instructions say to use them anyway so I did. Now I'll be buying a new slave - and since I'm becoming a clutch pro think I'll re-do the master and lines as well. Thanks for the p/n info!
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM
JakeW
Walt
2015 range rover evoque

slave cylinder part numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrchuck
www.roversnorth.com

Slave part number RNE222
Master part number PLF289

~$130 for both.
I'm looking at part numbers for slave cylinders at Rovers North. P/N RNE222 is for V8 Defenders, but online it says this p/n is for LT85 Transmissions (??? they never came in NAS stuff). The R380 part is RND493, but in the rovers north news this part is listed for Defender TD5. Anyone know what the deal is here? Also, the genuine and proline clutch master cylinders have different prices, but if you look at the picture of the genuine part it says 'Girling' on it very plainly, which is supposed to be the brand of the proline part. Again I'm confused.
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:35 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

No clutch pedal resistance after clutch work

Hello. I'll preface all this by saying I'm no mechanic and had never done any clutch work before now.

I had a bad slave cylinder on the clutch on my 200tdi/LT77 110. I bought a new slave cylinder, and decided to replace the steel pipes and rubber hydraulic hose with one long custom hose as many of the fittings on the metal pipes were beyond their best. My master cylinder is about 6 months old so I didn't bother replacing it.

Last weekend I got it all back together and have had a hard time getting it all full of fluid. Just now I pulled the hose off of the master cylinder and filled it using gravity until fluid was pouring out of the bleed screw on the slave. I presumed that meant it was pretty much full.

I then screwed the hose back onto the master cylinder. The reservoir on the master is full, but still now when I pump the clutch there is no resistance. What's the matter? Did I somehow screw up my master cylinder in all this? Is my clutch slave maybe not pushing on the rod going into the clutch? I'm kind of stressed out about this since I have no idea what's wrong and I'm imagining the worst. If anyone has any ideas I'd really like to hear them.

Thank you very much,
- Andrew Clarke.

Follow-up Post:

Oh yeah, I'll also mention that before when I was pumping the clutch, trying to fill the line with fluid using the unscrew/press/screw/release method with the pedal and bleed screw, pressing the clutch DID send a spurt of fluid out the bleed screw. So at least something was happening there over the weekend.
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I'm not quite clear. Have you tried bleeding the system the "normal" way? They can sometimes be a PITA to bleed. Two people, one pushes firmly but not too fast while the other lets fluid out into a container with the tube immersed. Close before the pedal reaches the floor. Repeat until no air is seen.

Are you happy that the slave push rod is engaged into the release lever?
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:15 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I'd tried bleeding the system the way you mentioned first. At the advice of Mark from RoverParkBoys, I disconnected the hose again from the master and just pushed the clutch down. After the first push, nothing at all was coming out of the master cylinder, indicating that the master cylinder is indeed pooched.

He's sending me out a rebuild kit and a replacement master in case the kit doesn't work, so that makes me very happy.

As for the slave push rod, I have no reason to suspect that it's not properly connected other than the fact that there was SOMETHING wrong and that's not something I can easily verify one way or the other.

All this makes me think that maybe my slave was OK all along and it was just my master dying again ... except I suppose the fluid seeping out of my bellhousing drain plug. Now I'll have a whole new hydraulic system including master, hose, and slave so once it's working again it should be fine for a while.

Thanks again,
- Andrew.
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:08 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Andrew - Have you considered getting a pressure bleeder?

http://www.motiveproducts.com

You can do it the old-fashioned way, but this makes it so much easier IMO. Also worthwhile if you intend on bleeding your own brakes at some point as well. No pumping of the brake or clutch pedal required. Just fill the reservoir, pump up the pressure, open the bleed screws until you don't see any more air, and you're done.
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:56 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Yeah, I tried to find a pressure bleeder, but in the nearest town here of 40,000 people I can't seem to find a find a fine pitch metric nut or 15w40 synthetic oil, and as of Wednesday I discovered I can add a pressure bleeder to the list (at least from Canadian Tire, the main automotive store). So I gave up on that.

Yeah it would be a nice thing to have, but I'll have to find it somewhere else and have it on hand for next time. With the problem right now being my master cylinder, having a pressure bleeder wouldn't have solved my problem anyway.

- Andrew.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
If I havent lost any fluid or noticed any leaks but the clutch is going all the way to the floor and barely engaging is it time for a new one? I loose the clutch in traffic, today I almost was stranded I mean literally nothing, it would return tho, but it was like i was mashing a gas pedal. And it goes probally 3/4 of the way before engaging when its cold/just started.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:54 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Bleed it. Check the fluid level...fill...bleed.

Your pedal going to the floor is a sign that the cylinder is failing. I had to replace mine about 4 months ago. Fun fun fun.
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:40 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Any update?
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I did get everything back up. I bought a new master cylinder as well as a rebuild kit. It turns out in retrospect that my old master cylinder may have been fine and the trouble was probably with my own (mis)understanding of the situation.

With my new master cylinder, the first squirt when I pressed the pedal would yield a very satisfying volume to be, er, ejaculated from the nozzle. Subsequent pedal pushes right away would only give me a tiny bit. I noticed though that the fluid would seep from the reservoir into the cylinder over a period of several seconds, so after filling up the hose and shaking the bubbles out as best I could (remember that I replaced the entire route with flexible hose) I was able to bleed the clutch system on my own.

I just did a 2900 mile trip a couple weeks ago and the clutch performed beautifully. And now I have a spare master cylinder and rebuild kit in case I need them in the future.
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:41 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
clutch/MC ?s

Just got a new clutch and slave and a bunch of other things. Reputable shop did the work had the fucker a month needless to say they did a poor job. ANyways I got in it this morning and the contents of the master cylinder were in my floor. How important is it to use the Castrol LMA and how long can I keep nursing this truck along by refilling the MC. I need to drive it about 300 miles this weekend to get home....
Old August 10th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I've had my MC occasionally leaking on me for 10 months now. Lose about 1/4 inch a month so keeping checking and filling.

if you lost it all in one shot, it's time.
Old August 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yeah its gone. I think my truck was sabotaged by the mechanic.
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:42 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
that sucks. I had mine replaced about two years ago, and had about the same results. The damn thing started leaking again after less than a year. I still haven't "fixed" it again, but i've been toping it off for a while now. FWIW, I've heard that the Castrol LMA is VERY important to the longevity of the clutch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, master, slave