Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder Hydraulic Leak Merged Threadfest - Page 11 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Has anyone tried this lately?
How did it work out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor View Post
There is a place that will take your old master and bore it out, insert a brass sleeve and then get it to blueprint specs. For CHEAPER than a new OEM. This plus a new seal kit and youre good for a long time. I had mine sleeved two years ago or so and I've had no problems since. The stock masters are cast aluminum and this soft metal wears out pretty quick. With the brass sleeve you're set... I got the name of the place off the Yahoogroup D90 list, Im sure its still there in the archives, or you could probably google it..

Removing and replacing is a pain in the ass, but not impossible for the average LRO. Take the hood off, and away you go. The master housing is held to the bulkhead (firewall) with 6 or 8 bolts and the whole assembly comes out.. A good time to battle any corrosion. One thing I forgot to do is seal the assembly back to the bulkhead with silicone or some sort of sealer, now when it rains I get wet feet!

~Steve M
red rover #791
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2013, 09:04 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I figured it had been a while since we had the clutch discussion so why not bring back a demon from the past.

Today I had the fine opportunity, under less than ideal circumstances, to replace my master cylinder on my truck. I had a good friend and fearless "shade tree" mechanic helping me out. With no resourses on how to bleed this thing we went after it. We filled it up. He opened the bleed valve, and I pumped like crazy on the pedal until all the air came out(I think), and fluid came out. Anyway this is my new issue. I was driving it, and it feels consistant but the clutch is releasing way deep into the range of the clutch (the oposite of pushing the pedal in). Then after some driving, after engine temps heat up, the clutch will sometimes feel as it it is not fully letting go in gear. I can pull upwards on the clutch pedal with my toes and it feels better. I am wondering if I did not bleed the system right, or is the rod with two bolts attached to the actual pedal needing adjustment?
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:01 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I have not blead anything before and I was in a rural area with no internet when I finally got the master back into the truck. We did the best we could.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:54 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Two guys, two beers. One sitting in the truck, the other under it with a 11 mm spanner, piece of transparent plastic hose and a 20 ounces empty soda or water bottle.

Stick one end of tube inside bottle down to bottom, tape it so it won't go out, stick the other side on the bleeding screw of slave cylinder. The game is to open the screw when the pedal is coming down and have it closed while the pedal is coming up, until you get clean and fresh fluid with no bubbles. Top up reservoir constantly during process.

There are other methods.

Don't remember ID of tubing but it's either 1/8 or 3/16.
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Make sure there is adequate free play in the master. I believe the procedure is mentioned elsewhere in this thread.
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:17 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Awesome guys. I am going to assume we are supposed to drink the beers and not toss them down the MC!!
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:17 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Make sure there is adequate free play in the master. I believe the procedure is mentioned elsewhere in this thread.
I noticed last time I did this job that the shaft on top of clutch pedal has a lot of free play, so I guess even if you tight both nuts on master cylinder rod, you will have specs free play .
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:27 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I just tweeked the bolts on the MC a touch and also did the bleed the way you all suggested. The clutch feels good different now.

Thanks all.

As far as the free play. What I noticed on my old MC when it was out, is that the threaded shaft is held in place by a ring. There is a touch of play between that bolt/shaft and the head of the MC. O kindof wanted the bolt to be resting up gently against the retainer ring, and the clutch pedal.
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
I noticed last time I did this job that the shaft on top of clutch pedal has a lot of free play, so I guess even if you tight both nuts on master cylinder rod, you will have specs free play .
It is possible to put the nuts on in such a way to put pressure on the shaft which causes the issue.
Old July 15th, 2013, 04:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Which way do I need to adjust the rod on the MC, the shop that installed it failed to road test. When the clutch fluid heats up the clutch fails to engage properly. What does the bolt on the outside of the pedal box do?
Old July 15th, 2013, 06:14 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Which way do I need to adjust the rod on the MC, the shop that installed it failed to road test. When the clutch fluid heats up the clutch fails to engage properly. What does the bolt on the outside of the pedal box do?
The bolt on the outside of the pedal box...well...I'm not sure what you're referring to. If it's the one on the side of the pedal box, then that is related to the bushing/pivot.

If I understand your question correctly, you should be adjusting the pedal further out away from the master cylinder, on the threaded shaft.
Old July 15th, 2013, 07:02 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I think the bolt you are talking about is a stop, it will limit the travel of the pedal.
Old July 16th, 2013, 07:06 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Awesome, thanks. I hope my clutch isnt fried from driving it with a improperly adjusted MC. I dont know what it is with shops and me, seems like any and everytime it goes in I always ALWAYS end up having to fix it.
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:21 AM
beast
the beast
2003/Defender 90

soft clutch

my clutch is totally soft and touching the floor board.
I'm new to doing repairs and dont know what to do.
can someone please help me?
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
has anybody figured out which shop does the brass sleeve on the clutch master cylinder? I want to get this done.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 8th, 2014, 02:20 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Hi Mark. Long time since we've talked. Hopefully the 2.8 is still doing well.

When I got my clutch MC re-sleeved years back, it was done by Sierra Specialty Automotive. But I see that the guy has retired. He lists some alternate sources on his site, but does not necessarily endorse them.

http://sierraspecialtyautomotive.com/
Old April 8th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Hey Ryan. I found this shop in NY that does it. I shot them an email to see if they can do our clutch MC's. gave them part no and everything. Look like for clutch MC's they will do brass sleeve and rebuild for around $100. If so, I'm in. I have my old one sitting on the shelf at home. I started to get a little intermitten drop here and there in the peddle box, so want to stay ahead of this. witih a brass sleeve, it should be the last time I ever deal with that problem

http://www.applehydraulics.com/brakes.htm

Old April 8th, 2014, 02:43 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Hey Ryan. I found this shop in NY that does it. I shot them an email to see if they can do our clutch MC's. gave them part no and everything. Look like for clutch MC's they will do brass sleeve and rebuild for around $100. If so, I'm in. I have my old one sitting on the shelf at home. I started to get a little intermitten drop here and there in the peddle box, so want to stay ahead of this. witih a brass sleeve, it should be the last time I ever deal with that problem

http://www.applehydraulics.com/brakes.htm
good guys to deal
Old April 8th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I just spoke with a tech at apple hydraulics. ship them your old MC and they will do a full rebuild with brass sleeve for $125. turn around is 2 weeks with shipping. boom. I'm sending my old one out to them tomorrow. The tech was russian. I asked him, "can you do rover MC's?", he asked back "Does eet look like ceegar?", I said "yes", he said "gurlink. no problem"

Old April 8th, 2014, 07:52 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

That's a good price.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, master, slave