Defender Source Forum banner

Clutch master - brake servo or fender wing removal ?

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Grover 
#1 ·
I have to change my clutch master cylinder and I really don't want to go thru the space nightmare of this job, I'll make some room.

Which one is easier to remove, brake pedal/servo/cylinder assembly, or fender wing ?

#2 ·
Remove the six bolts holding the brake pedal tower on and move it over without disconnecting anything if you need a bit more room. Personally, I never needed the extra space. If you are going to remove one, I would remove the fender unless I wanted to bleed my brakes.

#3 ·
It's not too bad to change it out without removing anything.....make sure you have every size (10,11,12,13,14mm, 3/8,7/16,1/2,9/16) wrench known to man, long, short, stubby, ratcheting, etc....but most of all, lots of patience.....but it can be done.

If I had to remove anything, on a newer truck,it would be the brake tower......older truck without a lot of sh*t bolted on the inner fender, I'd remove the wing.

#6 ·
I stand flabbergasted at the responses. Having done many difficult jobs in some very hard-to-work-on cars, I distinctly recoil at the thought of changing my Defender clutch MC. Not that it is difficult per se, but it is extremely frustrating: everything is right there in your hands, but it won't come out by a nanomilimeter's lack of clearance. Do it right:

1) Get a OEM MC, not a pattern part that will last two years. Believe me, if you don't remove the fender, you don't want to do this often. So,

2) Remove that fender panel.

#8 ·
I did that job almost 4 years ago, it's not even about the time but like Santiago said it's the frustration plus you'll finish with hands all trashed.
I'll take fender off, have a couple of cold Presidentes, then I'll hit the MC :grin

#11 ·
Did this on the NAS 90 a few months ago. Just unbolt the brake booster (6 bolts or whatever from the footwell inside the car) and move it out of the way, then you can get the entire clutch assembly out no problem and do it all on the bench. Trust me, removing the entire wing is a pain in the arse and totally unecessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.