Clutch? I've got a real mystery here. Help! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
JakeW
Walt
2015 range rover evoque

Clutch? I've got a real mystery here. Help!

Here's the deal. I've got a '95 D-90 that's been modified a lot. I just put Great Basin Rovers 4.9:1 low gears in it, so while I had the tranny/t-case out I put a brand new genuine clutch kit in (pressure plate, throw out bearing and disc). Also rebuilt the slave cylinder, which I know is not the problem. Truck was working great. Got done wheeling at 21 road today, and was playing around on a hill. Low range, 1st gear crawled right up no problem - I love these super low gears. Well upon decent I realized I was in the way of some families on their dirt bikes so decided to get down the hill faster. I put the clutch in near the bottom so I could coast and heard the tranny gears whining and then a quiet banging noise and the clutch felt engaged. I stopped, the truck died, I started it and the clutch pedal was stuck to the floor. Got out and the master cylinder had juice, but the clutch wasn't working. Well I managed to start it in gear to get out of the way but when the engine was running it was shaking the whole damn truck. Thought I could probably drive it home without the clutch, but then another little noise and now I have no clutch at all. Can start the truck in gear and I have NO POWER TO DRIVELINE. It just sits there. (yes, the t-case is in gear too)

1. If the pressure plate fingers broke wouldn't the clutch be engaged all the time?
2. Think the disc exploded? Why would this happen to a BRAND NEW CLUTCH??
3. What's with the vibration? If it is the disc, why would it cause an imbalance? Engine is running fine, I have oil pressure, no weird noises.
Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ok, just trying to make sure I have it correct here.

First problem was that the clutch jammed up, while engaged, but with a nasty vibration, pedal stuck on the floor.

Heard another bonk, and now clutch is not engaged at all. Still vibrating? or no?

It does sound like an exploded disc, but it could also be a problem with the shift fork too.

I'd start with pulling the starter, getting a mirror in the hole, and seeing if you can see anything. If the disc exploded, there should be pieces laying in the bottom. Also, just to make sure, pull the PTO cover off the transfer case and make sure that you didn't shear the teeth off the output shaft of the tranny. I don't think that's the issue, but it doesn't hurt to rule it out early.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
JakeW
Walt
2015 range rover evoque

Your description is accurate, Hans. 1st time I started it and found the vibration was right after the initial bonk. I popped it into neutral when the weirdness happened, and when she fired up the whole truck started wobbling and wouldn't go into gear. That's when I noticed the pedal wouldn't come out. Then started it in gear and moved about 30 meters and turned it off. Next time I started it in gear it went until a little uphill (5 feet) and another little bonk and no power to drivelines. Yep, still have the vibration. Great advise on pulling the starter, I'll definately do that. I'll go ahead and pull the PTO cover first and check, but there wasn't any grinding noise throughout the failure so I don't think that's the problem. Like you say though, good to rule it out early. The more I think about it the more it sounds like the disc exploded or the center broke out. It's just weird. Never expected anything like this to happen. All I did was push in the clutch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:18 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, I forgot that those clutch forks are notoriously weak and wear right through causing them to break right off or the slave piston goes right through them. If it was already getting thin the stress of a new pressure plate might have pushed it over the edge.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
JakeW
Walt
2015 range rover evoque

Yet another thing to check. Looks like she's gonna be down for a while. Priority right now is supposed to be my wedding, so I've got to sell the sunday driver car. Once its on ebay I'll get to work on the Rover and let the cause of this greif be known to all. Maybe we can prevent it from happening to somebody else. I'm thinking the pressure plate may have lost some bolts causing it to make a gap off of the flywheel. Can't really explain the engine shaking the truck around with any other sort of clutch problem. Something's off kilter with the clutch causing that wobble and the only thing I can think of that's heavy enough is the pressure plate.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:59 PM
JakeW
Walt
2015 range rover evoque

Here it is-

Well, here's the problem. Clutch completely exploded. Deformed the pressure plate too (diaphragm). As you can see the entire center section separated from the friction surface. Before the center section gave completely out it must have spun the part that was still attached into the part that was already broken off causing it to all bunch up in the same area. That was what caused the engine to be off balance and made the truck wobble when the motor was on. This is a land rover genuine clutch with less than 500 miles on it. It was not strong enough for my rig, so you guys thinking about using a genuine clutch your 4.6 powered defenders might want to reconsider unless you're using stock gearing and not wheeling. Keep in mind that this happened AFTER wheeling though, and only from disengaging the clutch while going down a hill.

If anyone out there has the part number for the centerforce dual friction clutch that the safari gard guys have in their rigs I would REALLY appreciate it. I already sent chrisvonc a message asking and think he'll have an answer, but I don't want to put genuine back in there just to have it blow up again. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Pictures attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	in rover1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	9422   Click image for larger version

Name:	exploded1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	9423  

Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Wow, hows the flywheel?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:10 PM
JakeW
Walt
2015 range rover evoque

Thankfully there isn't a scratch on the flywheel. Looks like once the center section broke free the clutch disc fragments got sandwiched between the flywheel and pressure plate. The whole mess was just in there spinning together!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch