clutch has no resistance - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Sandt
Sandt Michener
1984 Ninety

Registry
clutch has no resistance

Hopped in the '84 90 to go to the movies and the clutch just flopped to the floor. I am assuming slave cyl, and from what I've read here it is prudent to replace master, slave and flex line. As I am a new owner I don't have much experience working on clutches. The clutch section of the workhop manual is missing which would help me a lot. If someone has this section and could email it to me that would be a huge help! Sandt dot michener at gmail dot com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2011, 03:39 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder as a first step. It might have got low over time and just need topping up.
Old September 6th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Sandt
Sandt Michener
1984 Ninety

Registry
Thanks Mike for not allowing me to overlook the obvious. I was in a hurry and jumping to conclusions too early.
It was a little low, had to get some fluid to top it off. I poured in maybe 3-4 oz, pumped it up and it was good to go. But...a couple hours later it was easy to push, but not as easy as before. Fluid level looked about the same as before. Pumped and it was good again. Then overnight it was okay the next morning, just a little pumping. Is this more than just low fluid? Is this a sign that the slave or master is about to fail somewhere far away?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2011, 09:12 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Check if you have fluid on the pedal or an some extra fluid around the clutch drain hole. If you have fluid on the clutch pedal it is your master that is going, if you have more fluid around the drain hole then its your slave, but like you said it is best to switch out both the master and slave. It is a very simple job to do, I thought the hardest part was bleeding the lines.... Did the job over the summer when mine went.

When replacing my master I had troubles getting the box out from the side of the big brake box assembly so I had to unbolt that and shift it a little to the side to slide out the clutch pedal and master assembly.

here are a few good links, first is for the slave, second is for the master.

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f41/cl...wal-92504.html

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f41/cl...wal-76092.html

It really is a pretty easy job
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
There is probably some air in the system now and it needs bleeding.
When they fail it usually involves ll the fluid exiting either down the clutch pedal or out of the bell housing drain hole and isn't correctable by adding a little fluid.
Glad to have helped. I often jump in with a worst case scenario when it's my truck - buying a new battery only to find it was a corroded terminal being the most expensive to date

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch