Clutch grabbing close to the floor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 29th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Duke D90
John G. Mancini
1994 Defender 90 ST

Clutch grabbing close to the floor

I've got a 94 ST with an LT77 transmission, noticed that my clutch was grabbing close to the floor, also noticed it felt soft. Today I rebuilt the clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder with some improvement, but the clutch is still grabbing close to the floor -- is this an indication impending clutch failure?

Thanks so much for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2011, 10:00 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Any noise from the clutch release bearing or arm?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old January 30th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Grabbing close to the floor is probably an indicator of a mis-ajusted master cylinder pushrod, worn pedal assembly, perished flex hose, or air in the system.

Worn friction surfaces will cause the engage/disengage point in the pedal travel to become higher not lower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Duke D90
John G. Mancini
1994 Defender 90 ST

Gentlemen, thanks very much for the input. I haven't heard any unusual noises and was wondering about the push-rod adjustment. I just the system extensively after rebuilding the master and slave cylinders so I don't think there is air in the system. I'll probably try to the push-rod adjustment next.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
NC Rover
Nick
1971 Series IIa Hybrid

So funny b/c I just ran into this problem as of yesterday. I have a '71 Series IIa w/ a 2.5L Milspec engine, D90 axles, LT77 tranny and LT230 xfer case. Noticed that my shifter will not go into gear on a cold startup as well as the pedal engaging very close to the floor. I bled the slave cylinder and got all the air out with no change. Then I noticed I have a slight leak of fluid coming down the clutch pedal...not a ton...but you can tell its damp...like there is a super slow leak.

With that said, how do you go about adjusting the pushrod? I've replaced my clutch slave cylinder, but never my clutch master cylinder.

Anyone have any links to some DIY threads on this? Or just any info on how to adjust the pushrod?

Hoping to find a thread on replacing it all together.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:36 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
The last time I replaced my master and slave I had similar results: engaging close to the floor. After fumbling with the mechanical adjustment for a long time with unsatisfactory results I tried bleeding again. And bleeding again. And again. Finally lots of (extra) bleeding made the biggest difference.

My .02$ is to keep bleeding...

Nick, there are lots of threads on here detailing how to replace the MC. It's a easy concept; it just takes some gymnastics to get the box in and out. The pushrod is adjusted with very small hands and two 11 (?)mm wrenches.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
NC Rover
Nick
1971 Series IIa Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike View Post
The last time I replaced my master and slave I had similar results: engaging close to the floor. After fumbling with the mechanical adjustment for a long time with unsatisfactory results I tried bleeding again. And bleeding again. And again. Finally lots of (extra) bleeding made the biggest difference.

My .02$ is to keep bleeding...

Nick, there are lots of threads on here detailing how to replace the MC. It's a easy concept; it just takes some gymnastics to get the box in and out. The pushrod is adjusted with very small hands and two 11 (?)mm wrenches.
Thanks..yes its going to be a little more tough for me as the master clutch cylinder is underneath the front driver's side wing. Top down access will be tough. But looks pretty manageable ..I did find a good thread...

http://landytown.myfastforum.org/arc...t__t_4893.html
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:09 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I would also replace the flex hose, this caused me a great amount of turmoil a couple years ago
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Nick your thread looks pretty good. I found this one here: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...master+replace

Good luck! It's a not a fun job for sure, but not as terrible as everyone makes it out to be. And the MC is under the drivers wing on the NAS trucks too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch