Clutch / gear failure after long drive - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 19th, 2014, 07:10 PM
RedRoverKatyTx
Scott Frost
1987 Defender 110 RHD 2.5 deisel

Clutch / gear failure after long drive

I had to tow my '87 Defender 110 via AAA yesterday. While driving thru Houston traffic heading out of town for a nice camping weekend, it started slowing and although felt like gears engaging engine rpm stays high. Eventually could not get up past 30 mph. Pulled off and then could not get her to go into any gear even reverse. Earlier that morning I had topped off the clutch reservoir as it was 1/2 in low.

Towed to garage which was late in the day so it sat overnight. They drove it with no issues, shifting was smooth. They are no Land Rover experts. They are suspecting clutch is going out but it's just a guess really. They took it for a longer drive and after about 40 minutes it started to slip gears a bit.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
sounds like u need a new friction plate (clutch). its a service item good for 70-80k. must be worn since its not gripping once it gets warm. just like brakes.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:21 PM
javelinadave
-
-

The fact that your reservoir was half filled tells me that you have a leaking master, slave or leaky lines. Now for the obvious question, do you find fluid dripping anywhere?

Or what Mark said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If it is slipping with the clutch fully disengaged, then it is probably either a worn or contaminated clutch. If it was strictly a matter of the master/slave, then it would be hard to disengage/shift, but wouldn't just slip while driving. Could easily be a combination of the two, but with the clutch disengaged if you are having issues it would be the clutch.
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:25 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Has the master cylinder been replaced? If the pedal free play is not properly set it can become hydraulically locked causing the slip you are describing. Disc should slip all the time if worn down to that point. I have gone through this with mine. The replacement master cylinders do not have the pushrod threaded as far as the originals making adjustment difficult. In the end i adjusted he pedal height to give me the last little bit that I needed in freeplay.
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:38 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

The slave cylinder is leaking fluid inside the belhousing where it is splashing up on the flywheel and clutch rendering the clutch to slip.

Start with replacing the clutch master & slave and use dot 4 fluid.
With the Slave cylinder removed jack up the front left side so the clutch fluid can drain out.
If that doesn't fix the problem, then you need a new clutch driven plate (disc).

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
best advice right there

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 19th, 2014, 11:47 PM
RedRoverKatyTx
Scott Frost

Good advice. Yes there is a small drip spot. It's very little but there. It's not been slipping with clutch out. It's more when you clutch down and shift. Most obvious in and out of 3rd. Whether going up thru 3rd or down thru it. When you first drive it all is well and smooth. It's only after some highway and city traffic time. On the other hand if I drive it short hops to run errands, seems I can go on all day. After the problem gets bad I have to let it sit for a few hours to get cold then problem go aways.

I will look into the advice of the posts. It's got 119k miles and I've has her only the last 1,000.

Thanks for the wisdom.
Old April 20th, 2014, 12:19 AM
javelinadave
-
-

There is a small plug at the bottom of your transmission bell housing. Undo it and see if anything runs out. I'm guessing you will get a stream of clutch fluid.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:40 PM
RedRoverKatyTx
Scott Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
There is a small plug at the bottom of your transmission bell housing. Undo it and see if anything runs out. I'm guessing you will get a stream of clutch fluid.
Yes, a stream..... Advice was most helpful. The flywheel was a mess, so having it resurfaced and upgrading original clutch to heavy duty one. Thanks for all the info.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:56 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
After you replace everything check your master clutch adjustment. Mine was adjusted too "high" and when the truck got hot it caused the fluid to expand and disengaged the clutch far enough to slip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:15 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverKatyTx View Post
Yes, a stream..... Advice was most helpful. The flywheel was a mess, so having it resurfaced and upgrading original clutch to heavy duty one. Thanks for all the info.
Glad I was able to help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions