Clutch Fork Clip - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 28th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Clutch Fork Clip

For an R380, if the clip that holds the throw-out bearing to the clutch fork is not installed, what will likely result? Thx. Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxcart13 View Post
For an R380, if the clip that holds the throw-out bearing to the clutch fork is not installed, what will likely result? Thx. Mark
my understanding is the clip is to hold things together while the trans is bolted up to the block. Once installed the clip isn't necessary. There is no way for things to come apart once the slave and its internal spring is pushing on the pushrod. I have broken them (the clips) and used rubberbands doubled up to serve the same purpose. Once all together the bands turn into dust pretty quickly.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 28th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Thanks for the response, Doug. Had about 6K miles on a new standard clutch when the throw-out bearing failed. The nylon melted to the main shaft and the bearing seized. The clip in question was not used, so was wondering. I just put in a new R380 with a heavy duty clutch and made sure the clip was used. The all aluminum bearing won't melt like the last one. I guess a really hot clutch plate was the cause. Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

All aluminum bearing?
Old September 28th, 2014, 11:14 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
All aluminum bearing?
http://www.britpart.com/parts/repair...der/ftc5200hd/

Got mine from Justin, part# FTC5200HD...though haven't installed it yet.

------ Follow up post added September 28th, 2014 11:15 PM ------

Quote:
Thanks for the response, Doug. Had about 6K miles on a new standard clutch when the throw-out bearing failed. The nylon melted to the main shaft and the bearing seized. The clip in question was not used, so was wondering. I just put in a new R380 with a heavy duty clutch and made sure the clip was used. The all aluminum bearing won't melt like the last one. I guess a really hot clutch plate was the cause. Mark
Just curious, was there any symptoms leading up to the failure?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 29th, 2014, 07:28 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Make a search using the clip's proper name "Death clip"
Old September 29th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Another option for throwout bearing is Megasquirt-V8. http://www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk/diff_offroad.php

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 29th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Truck is back together and hopefully won't have to deal with clutch/R380 issues for quite some time. Just seeing if anyone else had a similar issue and what was the cause. Either the clutch got really hot, melted the nylon, which cause the bearing to fail and seize, or the bearing was the source of the heat which caused the nylon to melt and the seizure.

Nathan - to your question. Holiday weekend traffic was heavy coming out of the mountains. On a long hill, traffic was stop and go up it, enough that I shifted into low range to make it easier on the clutch. 30 minutes later some light stop and go when the peddle felt odd, spongey, then froze up. I didn't hear any odd noises or feel any unusual vibrations before the clutch bearing went out.
Old September 29th, 2014, 12:54 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

clip is only there for assembly purposes. I just installed the all metal (HD) one from megasquirt-v8 in mine. Britpart also makes one.

also the clip is really pointless in a TDi as its installed upside down and will fall out instantly
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch