clutch bearly engaging! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 14th, 2015, 02:26 PM
4x4Canada
a
1994 Defender 110 300tdi

clutch bearly engaging!

about mid way through a 5000mile road trip over summer the clutch began to get some play, at the end of the road trip it was taken to the shop and the slave cylinder(I think) was put in upside down. so two months ago the clutch only had about an inch at the end of the pedal where it was actually doing anything, so it was brought to the shop and they adjusted something (I forget what it was exactly) and that just raised the inch of the pedal where it was actually doing anything to the top of the pedal. so instead having to push the pedal all the way to the floor to put it in gear, you would only have to push it down the first inch, and then the rest pedal did nothing. so after it was adjusted, it had to driven on a 200mi trip. the bite point kept on getting lower and lower on the trip until it was down to the bottom of the pedal again, then that inch of the pedal that actually did something turned into half an inch. so you can get it going, but you have build up the revs and then it jerks forwards the millisecond you begin to let off the clutch. the clutch was replaced last spring and has less than 10,000 mi's on it. the only mechanic the knows anything about defenders is an hours drive, and I don't think it'll make it there. any possible resolutions to this problem would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
maybe it needs the "bear necessities" baaaahaaaa Sorry, couldn't help myself...just yuking.

Does sound like a slave cylinder leak/issue - replace that first, then go back to lines. Assuming you have bled that and the bleeder valve is tightly on....any fluid leaks? Fluid topped off?
Old January 14th, 2015, 02:30 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
maybe it needs the "bear necessities" baaaahaaaa Sorry, couldn't help myself...just yuking.

Hahahahahahahaha!

That there is funny...

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Hydraulic clutches go that way when the clutch itself is worn out. Yet yours is apparently new.....

Is the fluid level dropping?

I couldn't BEAR the thought that you have to pull the clutch out again.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 14th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Go through the steps in the workshop manual to adjust the pedal height and free play first and then see where things are at.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 14th, 2015, 02:41 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Go through the steps in the workshop manual to adjust the pedal height and free play first and then see where things are at.
Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	111062  
Old January 14th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Where are you located? What shop did you use?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 14th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I had a very similar situation recently with my truck - the clutch only worked in the first 1/4 of the pedal travel up from the floor. I did not replace the slave cylinder when I rebuilt the engine and trans and it started leaking. Since the nose of it is in the bell housing, the leak runs out the vent/drain on the bottom of the bell housing so the slave cylinder looks okay on the outside. Not a hard fix, so take a look at that first.
Old January 14th, 2015, 03:48 PM
jruti
Jon Ruti
'94 D-90, #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I had a very similar situation recently with my truck - the clutch only worked in the first 1/4 of the pedal travel up from the floor. I did not replace the slave cylinder when I rebuilt the engine and trans and it started leaking. Since the nose of it is in the bell housing, the leak runs out the vent/drain on the bottom of the bell housing so the slave cylinder looks okay on the outside. Not a hard fix, so take a look at that first.
I had same problem and this was the same solution. Quick fix.
Old January 14th, 2015, 05:17 PM
4x4Canada
a
1994 Defender 110 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post

Does sound like a slave cylinder leak/issue - replace that first, then go back to lines. Assuming you have bled that and the bleeder valve is tightly on....any fluid leaks? Fluid topped off?

haha I had to wright this whole thing up in about a minute and didn't even have time to check for mistakes so please forgive my misspellings
Old January 15th, 2015, 12:22 PM
4x4Canada
a
1994 Defender 110 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Hydraulic clutches go that way when the clutch itself is worn out. Yet yours is apparently new.....

Is the fluid level dropping?

I couldn't BEAR the thought that you have to pull the clutch out again.
the fluid drops a little after a lot of city driving

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch