Clunking While Coasting in Nuetral - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM
kzack
Keith Zack
none

Clunking While Coasting in Nuetral

1984 90 with 300tdi. I've only had the 90 for about a month, a few days back it developed a "clunking" noise and has gotten worse. The only time it happens (at least as much as I can determine) is when coasting to a stop in nuetral. Coasting in nuetral at speed, like going down a hill (not looking to start that debate), it doesn't "clunk". Coasting to a stop while keeping the gearbox in gear, it doesn't "clunk". Only when in nuetral below about 10mph.

Definitely seems to be coming from up front and not at the gearbox or tranfer box, though I can't determine left / right or differential. Differential is full of oil. I didn't check the swivels, but they are shiny, no pitting a always have a light film on them. I did pull the front prop shaft and the u-joints rotate nicely. I did not replace the u-joints, just reinstalled the prop shaft.

On a gradual grade and letting it coast, when nearly stopped, the audible "clunk" is less, but you can feel resistance / freedom / resistance / freedom... as the wheels turn.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Keith

------ Follow up post added September 12th, 2010 03:03 PM ------

Just an update....I just took it for a short drive, < 3 miles, and on return I touched the parking brake drum and it was so hot that it couldn't be touched. I can't say that this is related, but can anyone advise me how to adjust this brake? I read about a screw that is apparently adjustable externally, but I don't see this screw.

Also the "clunking" happens more frequent than one per wheel revolution as an fyi.

Thanks, Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I had the same thing happen. Check out this thread. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24427

You can look at section 70, page 8 of this PDF for the transmission brake overhaul procedure.

I took mine all apart and cleaned it up then put it all back together and it worked fine
Old September 12th, 2010, 08:23 PM
kzack
Keith Zack
none

Thanks for replying Jeff.

This sounds promising. I won't be able to look into for a couple days, but when I do, I'll reply with the results.

Thanks, Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2010, 01:31 PM
kzack
Keith Zack
none

Just an update...

I pulled the parking brake drum and cleaned everything inside and cleaned the inside of the drum with scotch brite pads. Now everything is silky smooth.

Inside the brake assembly, it was just slightly damp and that dampness with the brakes dust was building up on the drum surface. It sure didn't appear that the transfer case is leaking in any way so not sure the root cause. Hopefully it will last a while.

Thanks for the help.

Keith

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions