Clunk when I start off in forward and reverse - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 17th, 2014, 04:27 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Clunk when I start off in forward and reverse

I hear a loud clunk when I start off in off first gear and reverse. I went under the truck and I can turn the front drive shaft about 1" in either direction by hand. The rear drive shaft doesn't turn at all by hand.

Is this amount of play in the front drive shaft normal? If not what is the likely problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2014, 03:22 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Do the U Joints on the drive shafts look like they are loose or broken?
Old April 21st, 2014, 03:32 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
I tried to check for looseness in the U joints but they look tight with no play on both driveshaft's.

I was looking for some advice on how to check for play in the drivelines. I haven't been able to pin point the origin but it appears to come from the back. Could it be the differential, axles? What's the best way to check for wear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2014, 03:36 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Answer A: Its normal.
Answer B: Get into the habit of dropping out of gear just before you come to a halt. Selecting R or 1 after that will result is an almost silent change of direction.
Answer C: Add grease to the UJs.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 21st, 2014, 03:38 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Occurred to me before my rebuild and stopped afterwards. The slop in the drivetrain was not related for me.

Things i fixed: new bolts for rear a arm mounts, new rear trailing arm bushings, new rear brake pads, new rear wheel bearings. New rear shock bushings
Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:56 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Check for worn splines in the front hubs, as they wear they can create driveline slop. If the "clunk" is coming from the rear, check for play in the rear ball joint over top of the rear axle.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:05 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Try heavier weight gear oil in diffs
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:11 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I was getting some odd noises myself. Took the rear drive shaft off and it was way worse. I then checked the ebrake drum and the screw holding it all together was insanely loose. Put some loctite on it and put it all back together and all is good. With the ebrake on your drive shaft in the rear will not have any play, I think.

Anyway, I also second putting thicker fluids in the T-Case and Diffs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start