Clicking on startup, DOES Start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 21st, 2013, 04:09 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Clicking on startup, DOES Start

via my searching and basic knowledge, I know the deadly clicking is a sign of started failure when the engine doesn't turn over. My engine IS still starting, but gives a few clicks (this is new 3 days ago) while it is turning over. I dont hear the clicks and then it starts. Its all happening at the same time. This started happening since I mistakenly turned over the ignition while it was still in gear and it lurched forward.

Obvi if my starter is going or on its way out, would love to replace before I have the click of death or need to go under the truck and beat it with a hammer just to get home.

TIA for any insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:01 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Bump
Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:49 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

Why don't you crawl under the rig and gain some experience/knowledge. First make sure your electrical connections are german "Gud-n-tite" on the starter and battery. Second do the same to the mounting bolts of the starter. If it persists then go on and change the starter before it leaves you stranded. You don't really need the starter anyway as long as you can learn to park on hills and pop-a-clutch. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:12 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
via my searching and basic knowledge, I know the deadly clicking is a sign of started failure when the engine doesn't turn over. My engine IS still starting, but gives a few clicks (this is new 3 days ago) while it is turning over. I dont hear the clicks and then it starts. Its all happening at the same time. This started happening since I mistakenly turned over the ignition while it was still in gear and it lurched forward.

Obvi if my starter is going or on its way out, would love to replace before I have the click of death or need to go under the truck and beat it with a hammer just to get home.

TIA for any insight.
Sounds like a poor ground which is the fastest way to burn up a starter. Run an additional ground wire from battery neg post to one of the starter bolts. May be too late but I burned up a winch motor with an insufficient ground. Do as I say not as I do...

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:32 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverchef View Post
Why don't you crawl under the rig and gain some experience/knowledge. First make sure your electrical connections are german "Gud-n-tite" on the starter and battery. Second do the same to the mounting bolts of the starter. If it persists then go on and change the starter before it leaves you stranded. You don't really need the starter anyway as long as you can learn to park on hills and pop-a-clutch. Good luck!
Oh, I've been under the rig, so to speak, my friend. Connections are tight. I mean, I'm new to my defender but not a moron.

May take the below advice though to see if that helps.

Appreciate the advices.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:04 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Like starter solenoid clicks when you turn the key? And no starter action?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:09 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Like starter solenoid clicks when you turn the key? And no starter action?
That's the only thing I can relate the sound to. But it made the clicking as it was starting and I've yet to have it just click click with nothing else but have had that happen in my other rovers.

Of course tonight and last night I had her out, and it didn't do it. Just started right up and sounded normal.

Hmmmmm

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start