Clicking in 4th and 5th gear - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Clicking in 4th and 5th gear

I had a great weekend with my truck running sand dunes in Silver Lakes Michigan. Truck ran flawlessly the whole time we were off the pavement. A lot of high revs while running the dunes and hills. Moderate speed through some water but only 1 to 2 feet deep.

Drove home almost 300 miles with no problems. Since I have been home my truck has a weird ticking sound when I am in 4th and 5th gear. Not sure but it almost sounds like the truck is out of gear.
Any ideas or help on what it could be?
Clarence

------ Follow up post added August 9th, 2010 08:14 PM ------

I should mention the noise I am hearing is more audible when I am in 4th or 5th and the truck is decelerating. It sound like a ticking as the speed reduces the ticking slows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2010, 11:04 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

If this was Car Talk, I'd put my money on a catalytic converter that is nearing the end of it's life.
Old August 9th, 2010, 11:51 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I don't think that there is much about a vehicle that would make it click in 4th and 5th. I would look at wheel bearings or u-joints. Sand and water don't mix well with a damaged seal and grease. I once had a clicking from the rear end and thought I had a u-joint on the way out. When I took out the rear axles to install a locker later that day I realized I was lucky that I didn't lose my rear wheel. Bearings were pooched.
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
If this was Car Talk, I'd put my money on a catalytic converter that is nearing the end of it's life.
I'll check that tomorrow.

------ Follow up post added August 10th, 2010 12:04 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrad
I don't think that there is much about a vehicle that would make it click in 4th and 5th. I would look at wheel bearings or u-joints. Sand and water don't mix well with a damaged seal and grease. I once had a clicking from the rear end and thought I had a u-joint on the way out. When I took out the rear axles to install a locker later that day I realized I was lucky that I didn't lose my rear wheel. Bearings were pooched.
Greased the ujoints before and after. Might be some more sand to get out.
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Greased the u joint on the front shaft and now I noticed there is a problem with the seal on the u joint. The seal is not secured in place anymore. I am not sure how to correct the problem. The shafts are from relatively new (January 2010) from GBR.
I think this may be the cause of my mystery noise. Did I fubar it?
So what to do to fix this? Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	965878862_NPeaA-L.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	30038   Click image for larger version

Name:	965878400_wjgS4-L.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	30039  

Old August 11th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Bump

------ Follow up post added August 11th, 2010 06:36 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cred
Bump
Do I need to pull the shaft off to get this repaired or can I repair this myself and leave it in place?
Old August 11th, 2010, 04:49 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I have always greased u-joints until the grease starts to ooze out of the rubber seals/cups, thus displacing the seal, if that is the seal you are talking about.

The cap inside the yoke seems to be displaced as well from the slip yoke travelling a bit too far or the amount of grease inside pushing it off during compression. If anything on your drive shaft was clicking it would probably be at the same rate of the shaft, which is fast. If the clicking is slower it could be wheel or axle related. Maybe just as simple as a rock in your tire.

Crawl under your truck with the rear end jacked on stands up and t-case in neutral and spin the tires by hand to see if you hear anything from there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions