Cleaning up wiring ideas? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 7th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Tony Brooks
Cleaning up wiring ideas?

Not too surprisingly, I lost yet another Optima last week, this time the one in the 90. I've replaced it with my new favorite brand, Kirkland, for the time being. Upon installing it I was finally struck at what a halfass job I've done over the years wiring up the power and grounds for all of the accessories and I'd like to clean it up a bit. I need to power the winch, a pair of 4000s, work light and CB. I'd like to wire up the ARB compressor and fridge at the same time. I've searched and found multiple references to a variety of fuse boxes and terminal expanders (for lack of a better word) such as the JL audio ones that EE sells (as well as some others that appear to be about the same for 10% the cost. A few caveats: the new battery does not have side terminals (I know, dumb move) and I'd like to keep it as a single battery system for the time being.

So with that, I'd like some advice on what others have done that has been neat, functional, expandable and doesn't require refinancing the house, especially as I'd like to do the same to the rangie. Pictures of installations would be even better.

Old February 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3
This is on my disco2;

Used the JL terminals (before the new ones came out), got them off Ebay for a lot less than EE was selling them for... you can see the fused distributor block on the top left of the 'after' pic as well, one side runs my 6 lights, the other has a 4gauge (i think) wire running to the back of the truck into another distributor block, which then powers my OBA, Worklight, Cigar plug, Inverter, etc.. Winch is directly plugged in.. I also have a TJM IBS Dual Battery manager hooked up to the batteries..

As for side terminals, don't worry about it, they are rated lower then the top terminals to begin with.. the only thing I have to them now is my ground for my winch.

Get the right terminal connectors, then get some distributor blocks to move the power around.

1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
I've also got a supplemental fusebox from Painless, its one of the waterproof ones, and I mounted it in the seatbox. I've used it to wire in all the stuff in the center console, extra lights etc. Can't find a pic.
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:35 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow
i have this one in the seat box
3rd low and BOOT IT
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler
I use that same one as jimmy.
'73 SeriesIII coiler,"The Goat", Daihatsu 2.8TD,Santana,Ashcroft,ARB's,etc., now SOLD
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Chris Hinkle
More than I need
I use the Painless aux fuse box - works great and cleans up the battery box.
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
Daddy'o did you do your wiring yet?

For you guys who bought these fuse blocks, what about relays? It seems darn near everything needs one, so I was hoping to find a water resistance fuse block with a bunch of the circuits setup to use relays as well (built into the block).
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Mark M
I'm using Painless as well, sourced from Summit. Mark
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
Funny you even mention it--I too have wanted to clean up my wiring (I knew better than to do it 1/2 ass, but I was always trying to just be out wheeling! Now it is winter...) and I bought the Painless Wiring #70207 weather resistant Circuit Boss-basically a 7 fuse terminal (ebay for like 30 bucks). I have not installed it yet, but I know it will fit the bill nicely.

On another note, has anyone fused their winch? Mine runs through a marine battery disconnect, but I was dissuaded from using a fuse. I am rethinking that, but want to know what to possibly use that can be rated so darn big. Mainly if I ever (god forbid) get into an accident and short the power cable to the winch--I don't want a battery short to start any fires... Any recommendations?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions