CLD question / front end vibration - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 12th, 2013, 08:05 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

CLD question / front end vibration

Other than the light how can you tell if the CLD is engaged? I've got some nasty vibration in the front part of the drivetrain but the usual (ujoints/suspension/brakes) all check out. Its most noticeable when coming to a stop. Happens with or without brakes with the clutch in and in gear or out and in neutral. Feels like its coming from the front end of the tcase.

When I moved the CLD lever over to engage the light came on and the problem didn't get any worse or better but when I moved the lever back over the light is still on so I'm wondering if its possible that it somehow got engage and that's whats causing the vibration.

If its an easy fix i'd like to address it tonight before the big rains.

Thanks in advance
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2013, 08:07 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right and drive in circles, you will know if your CDL is engaged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:07 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

It's disengaged (at least it's not fully engaged). I moved the lever directly at the t-case and when locked front and rear driveshafts are locked, when open I can turn the front wheels. Question is can CDL be partially engaged? Most of the vibration is gone but I can still feel it on occasion. Just when coasting or braking to a complete stop, either in gear and clutch depressed or in neutral. Whenever there is a load (ie accelerating or decelerating in gear) no vibration.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2013, 02:21 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Be sure all the wheels well balanced. I've chased front end vibes until I finally thought about the wheels. In the end that made a big difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions