Clay bar question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Clay bar question

I started the clay bar (Waxoyl) system and wasn't sure if I sure let the lubricant spray dry before I wipe it off with a clean rag. Should I be using a lot or a little of this spray? Any suggestions on doing this would help. I did a search and didn't come up with much. How hot should it be outside. Also, should I wax the car after I do this clay bar?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2007, 03:27 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Is this a paint cleaning clay? If so, then the paint should be cool when using it. The lubricant should not be allowed to dry on the paint; it is just used to keep the clay from sticking to the paint. The lubricant can get quite dirty and if you let it dry then you're not really cleaning the paint very well. I do a section and then wipe it dry with a microfiber cloth and then go on to the next section. You should drag your finger across the section before claying and then after to fully appreciate how clean the paint is now. The clay may or may not appear filthy but the smoothness of the finish is amazing.

If after cleaning the paint you have no swirl marks or fine scratches then you can wax. I occasionally polish first then wax but sometimes I'm just not up for the extra step.
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:46 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Or you can just use soap and water, thats what my buddy uses on his BMW M Coupe. I did it with my disco and it worked perfectly.
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

the Meguilars clay kit includes "Showtime" as the lubricant. It is just a quick detailer spray and just helps the clay to slide without getting stuck. If it dries, just spray some more on top and it should come up. Probably best to do smaller sections at a time so no time for it to dry...it is pretty amazing how much dirt a clay bar removes even when you thought your truck was showroom clean
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how much of a difference does this stuff make? I have heard good things but I have not tried it.
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

it makes a big difference , and you can feel it as well as see it. As you rub the clay over the paint, you can feel it removing unseen dirt and grime and within seconds you feel how slick the area you clayed becomes. Hard to explain in words you have to try it..its very easy You will be amazed how much deep down dirt and other stuff is still on your truck even after washing and the clay bar system removes what washing leaves behind.
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Best part is it takes off imbedded grit and even paint overspray, quite amazing really.
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

On the overspray note, my wife's Allroad was at the dealership last fall, and came back with a very fine overspray. You could feel it on the body and hear it on the windshield when the wipers were going. Knowing they wouldn't fess up to it, I used a clay bar, and it took it all off. Good waxing after that, and it's set.

Kevin: good to know on the water/soap mixture.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:03 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Do you guys use the clay bar after every wash? Or is this a once in awhile thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender13
I started the clay bar (Waxoyl) system and wasn't sure if I sure let the lubricant spray dry before I wipe it off with a clean rag. Should I be using a lot or a little of this spray? Any suggestions on doing this would help. I did a search and didn't come up with much. How hot should it be outside. Also, should I wax the car after I do this clay bar?

Thanks
Btw: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...light=clay+bar
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Once in awhile thing. It basically strips everything down. If the paint is beginning to feel rough, then it's time. Looking at my 90, you'd thing I'd never used the clay bar on it, nor waxed it, and you'd be right.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:11 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

It's best before a polish and wax (or just wax). No point in claying if you're not going to protect it afterwards.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:13 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

soap and water works great. one time only for me. then you can start with a good clean surface to treat. I use dishsoap to wash before claybar to strip any wax. The Defender though, I've never washed it and never will. Zaino products are great.
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:07 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Why dont you think you should wash your Land Rover?
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:45 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Oh please, wash your poor rover. it can be as fast as 10 minutes. Or take two hours and do it right... wash/compound/wax.

I used to be a bit compulsive about washing and waxing her, but lately its been just twice a year. Doesn't take much time and the truck looks awesome after its over..

~Steve
one day ill wear through the paint and the alum will begin to show through - thats the rover patina.
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:04 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

its a rugged 4x4 with no frills. I clean off the floor mats and the dash and thats all. no need to keep the outside clean for me. functionality is all I care about. It rain quite hard here sometimes and I park it outside on those days.
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Washing is actually sometimes painful for me, literally. With the roof rack so close to the body, I've ripped my knuckles open pretty nicely on the bottom of some of the bolts in the past.

I keep meaning to put a hinge on the thing so I can raise it up easily.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Monkeyboy

Springfield, MO and you don't wash it?!

Please at least wash off the mud (that retains moisture and rots the frame) and the road grime ( that seems to still have salt in it until at least June up here) from the underside.

If you want, I can track down that "spray-on-mud" from the UK so it can look the part and still have some kind of reasonable service life

KAA
Des Moines, IA
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:07 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Cool

Shane, if you aren't carefull, Rover Rescue is going to commandeer your truck due to cruelty, abuse, and neglect.
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:09 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Shane, if you aren't carefull, Rover Rescue is going to commandeer your truck due to cruelty, abuse, and neglect.
lol. The truck is well taken care of. I just think a 4x4 should be dirty.
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
enough said.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions