Cigar Lighter Removal and Rear Wiper Switch Removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 7th, 2013, 04:50 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Cigar Lighter Removal and Rear Wiper Switch Removal

Well, I do feel really stupid, but here it goes. I was prepared to replace the center panel where the clock, cigar lighter and rear window wiper switch are located. Hate the cheap plastic - over - steel insert. I found a really nice brushed aluminum one on ebay UK. Already replaced the cheap plastic three rocker switch plate (hazard, dash / courtesy light and some other switch) next to steering column with a nice brushed aluminum one. Anyway, I can't seem to get the cigar lighter out of the center panel. There appear to be two plastic clips on the greenish clear ring surrounding the lighter socket. But, there is also a big protruding "hot leg" connector which would prevent me from pushing the socket through the front of panel even if I could depress the frozen clips on the side of the plastic housing. I can slide the metal lighter body inside the plastic back and forth, but I don't want to damage anything. Any advice?
Now for the rear wiper washer switch in the panel. It appears that there is a circular threaded retaining ring on the cockpit side of the switch plate that can be unthreaded to release the switch, but I can't seem to get the knob in front of the threaded ring to "let go". I tried prying it (don't want to break it), tried turning it (thought maybe it was threaded on) and now am ready to keep the old ugly switch panel. Again, I feel stupid, but would appreciate any advice. Apparently, I am missing something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2013, 08:23 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Any experts on dash components, help please. Would like to tackle this project this week. Thanks.
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you can wait a day or so I'll send you some photos of the lighter and switch out of the truck. Should help show the retainer sections and I can walk you through the removal when I'm back in the shop.

Pm or email and I'll send you my phone number

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi chaps
I have a center panel on the shelf in the garage it's working it's way to the bin.
I'll take some photos & post later
regards
Gren
Old April 8th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Mike,
the cigarette lighter does indeed come out by pushing the 2 small green lugs in while pushing the main body out of the hole, but only after you have removed the black plastic bulb holder form the side of the body.

As for the wiper switch knob it is held on with a small spring loaded button, if you look on the side of the knob you will see a hole.
Push a small screwdriver into the hole while pulling gently to removed knob.

pics to help.:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0361 (Large).jpg
Views:	255
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	69806   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0365 (Large).jpg
Views:	265
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	69807  

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:25 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Gren and Brian-
Thanks very much. I guess the rear washer / wiper knob removal failure is a tribute to my failing eyesight. I never noticed the set screw in the side of it... Is it a allen key? Also, I see the cigar lighter removed and I still have a question. The hot leg that protrudes from the side appears to have been pryed back... how does it come away from the cigar lighter body? Just pry it away? Thanks again for the help.
Old April 13th, 2013, 08:02 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Cigar Lighter and Rear Wiper / Washer Removal

Thanks for the advice Gren and Brian. The tips made the job eClick image for larger version

Name:	dash panel.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	70112asy. Below is the landylubber dash panel in brushed aluminum. I like it and the three switches give a few nice options. The lit switch is my electric fan power ( it has a flex a lite control module). I haven't decided what I will do with the other switches. May use one for manual fan control.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, switch, wiki