Choosing a top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
vkv
Kamyar Vaghar
1994 D90

Talking Choosing a top

Bought a '94 D90 over the weekend after months of looking. Love it.

But after months of searching, I bought one that needs a top, whether it be the fiberglass or one of the numerous soft-tops on the market. (The Defender came with a fast back soft top, tonneau cover, and bimini top). But I bought the car because my dog no longer fit in my other car. Bubba is a 200lb. 14 month old puppy and still growing. So the fastback top doesn't leave him enough room and he freaks out with the top off.

I am looking for advice on purchasing a top. It's obviously easier to buy a soft-top. Which do you guys recommned? I've looked at the ones from Badger and the one from Rovers North.

I want to take the following into consideration:

Noise
Leaks
Visibility

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 010.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	12435  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Badger.

Discussion over.

Actually, not really. Figure out which badger you want. I personally like the less expensive one without the upgraded door mount pieces. Do you have the full cage? If not, finding the back half of the cage is going to be tough and expensive. In that case, I would look for a used fiberglass top for around $1000. It can mount without the rear cage.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
First, where are pictures of your truck!

Second, Nice Mastiff! Looks a bit under weight...hehe

Third, as stated, the ONLY right choice is Badger...do a keyword search on 'BADGER'...this question comes up A LOT and I don't believe anyone here will tell you differently.

Fourth, if you want a subpar top that cost almost as much as a Badger...then go with the RN top...

After you've convinced yourself that the Badger top is the way to go, give Chris at Badger Coach Works a call, he'll hold your hand through the tough process of deciding which top(s) and accessories to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
vkv
Kamyar Vaghar
1994 D90

I do have the cage. Thanks for the advice. So the Badger. Have you used the one that the side windows can roll up so it acts like a Surrey?
Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
As far as leaking, Badger offers a gutter kit that reduces/almost eliminates leaking in the trucks. Noise...keyword search 'noise'.

Follow-up Post:

That's seems to be the popular choice. The Badger II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkv
I do have the cage. Thanks for the advice. So the Badger. Have you used the one that the side windows can roll up so it acts like a Surrey?
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Badger........
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

I just ordered a Badger I with the gutter kit. Talked to Chris last week at length about soft front door tops. None on the schedule The top is supposed to ship this week. Hopefully I'll have it by the weekend and off comes the fiberglass/Tupperware P.O.S. that has been my hell and on goes my Badger. If it's half as good as I have read it will be perfect. I can report back when I get it but it really seems like a no-brainer. First time I called Chris he explain the Rovers North "situation" and gave solid and professional (read:non- salesman like, no pressure, honest) advice. He encouraged me to reach out to the board for opinions and reviews and was VERY helpful. He's also a super nice guy to deal with. Hopefully he remembers to throw in that free Badger Coachworks hat! Good luck. Beautiful dog! How 'bout some pics of the truck!!
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I bought my truck with a Badger 1 FDS top. If I were to buy one I'd probably go with a Badger 2 simply because of the roll up windows and removable rear window.

Badger Rocks!
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I have but one regret. I didn't get a Badger 2 when I got my Badger 1. I'd rather have had the ability to run it as a surrey.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Badger truck cab
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

I don't get something. If you unzip the windows on the badger I isn't it like a surrey except you have to store the windows instead of being able to roll them up??
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

You still have the fabric over the B and C pillars. You don't have that with the Badger II.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
vkv
Kamyar Vaghar
1994 D90

So is everyone against both the Rovers North soft and the fiberglass hardtop? Especially the hardtop being that it is pretty expensive to get and even harder to find. You all have been a tremendous help to a rookie.

Actually, one more question for you all. What's the noise difference between Badger, Rovers North, and hardtop? The guy I called at Rovers North said that their top eliminates noise really well.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

the guy at rovers north is a salesman. its still a convertible car
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I think most are going to be against RN. First of all they stole (literally stole) the design from Chris at Badger and they supposedly use inferior materials in their tops now. I don't necessarily know, or want to get into what I think I know about the situation, but basically Badger used to supply tops to RN before RN stole the design and began making cheaper tops themselves. Take away from that what you will.

I've heard that the fiberglass tops are okay, but that they break easily and that they are not really very watertight. I have also seen a couple hard tops up close and have not been terribly impressed with their construction.

That said, Badger tops are expensive and you'll more than likely have to wait a good while to get it. However there is no substitute! I love mine and would definitely buy another if I needed to. From what I've seen Chris also takes very good care of his customers and will even do repairs to the tops that need it.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Badger truck cab
If the Mastiff can't ride with the fastback, he's definitely can't ride with the truck cab!

But anyway, the fiberglass top isnt as quite as you would think, it drums, vibrates, and squeaks. The real problem with it is that it takes lots of tweaking and adjustments to fit and work well, and when you go to all that effort, you dont want to take it off, so you are stuck with a crappy station wagon.

I personally like the gutter kit a great deal - it allows the doors to seal up very nicely. The fabic door seal is adequate, but the gutter kit is more fool proof.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOD77
I don't get something. If you unzip the windows on the badger I isn't it like a surrey except you have to store the windows instead of being able to roll them up??
Mine stretched about an inch and a half on both sides of the rear window so now it doesn't fit tight. So if you plan on running it like a surrey get the Badger 2.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 4th, 2008, 03:41 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Badger. Those guys are awesome
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:03 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

First of all, beautiful Mastiff. Some would say I have an affinity towards larger dogs. Secondly, Badger II with gutter kit. Dogs love surreys.

I ran the "hardtop" for two winters. What a POS. It leaks more than any soft top I've ever had. Plus, every time you take it off or put it on, something will break.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:24 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The fibreglass hardtop is ok it you don't offroad and never take it off the truck. It is also as loud or louder than a softtop. It also takes a good while to get it to seal. It is nothing like a jeep hardtop (I should know, I have had both).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions