Child seating - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Daisy
Tanja Norris

Child seating

I have a 1997 Defender 90 hard top - so inward facing rear jump seats. I also have a 3 year old. It has been brought to my attemtion that he should not be riding in the back in an inward facing jump seat. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem other than having him ride up front?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2006, 12:19 PM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

I use a rear bench seat for my 3yo. I've also had her ride up font in her seat on occasion since there are no air bags.
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Daisy
Tanja Norris

Thank you. I'll try and find a rear bench seat to install. I guess then getting him in and out of the car will be a bit tricky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2006, 01:20 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Up to what age is the inward jump seat an issue?
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:41 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

In an accident... I'd say about 125 years old.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Not easy in any case, but one way to make the rear bench more accesable is to remove the cubby box to create "easier" access to the rear...a friend did it that way...
Old September 20th, 2006, 02:26 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

The ones I like are the over the shoulder seat belt kits they sell for rear, inward facing jump seats. Talk about unsafe!! In an accident tose things would compress your spine into half size, and likely snap your neck to boot. They have to be the stupidest thing I have ever seen anyone put into a vehicle for "added safety".

Keep'm in the front seat. In most cars I'd agree put the kids in the back, but in a 90 Wagon with side seats, put em in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04262.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	6816  

Old September 20th, 2006, 02:27 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
In an accident... I'd say about 125 years old.
That one made me laugh out loud.
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:39 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

We posted on this some time back, so make a search on car + seats.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ight=car+seats
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should a baby to an adolecent be in a sidewards position. That means new born up to a teenager. Beyond that, in an accident, who ever is in that side seat, regardless of age, is screwed. The human cervical vertebra do not handle stress that well.

The best thing about a Defender is the kids go up front. Totally legal and between the truck height, roll cage, and a general lack of speed (one tends not to see a D-90 doing a 60mph corner approach) it is very safe. Get a good car seat and install the seatbelt clip that comes with it. Once your most precious bundle of joy gets to the forward seating age, my recommendation is another car seat. I went with one with lateral head support and a solid mold (not a piece of 1mm crap plastic clipped in top the shoulder) plastic guide for the seatbelt to go over the shoulder.

ONE major draw back - my daughter has been in the D-90 since she was 2. She prefers the D-90 over a Lexus and MB because of the up front seating and the windows open with the ignition off (how about that for vehicle selection criteria). She freaked when I tried to see the 90 so I took it off the market. Oh, yes I reside on her little finger and proud of it.
Old September 25th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Check you state law. In Illinois, it is Illegal to have a child in the front seat regardless of make, model or year.

The 1.5 year old nephew gets driven around in a rented Volvo when in town. Especially after seeing a diaper blowout in Texas in my brothers car. Man the agony of that ride home....

EwS
Old September 26th, 2006, 06:59 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Your screwed if you have a two-seater in Illinois, huh? What about folks with a truck?
Interesting....
I have been wondering when the 4 month old can go for a spin in the 90.
I have always been curious how the d90's do in accidents....
I would be side impact would be bad, likely to roll if you have any lift.
But rollover should fair well?
Old September 26th, 2006, 11:24 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

We have several firemen, police men, support services members on this site. Can anyone chirp in?

My view: in an accident with a kid - I worry. A full sized SUV hitting anything will "win" due to pure bulk x height x inertia but in a 90 - well spaced wheels x height x roll cage = better then a sedan.
I hope to never find out.
As to a 4 month old what kind of spin are you thinking? Key for adolencent growth is the musculature and skeletal development that needs to happen. 4 months ago, the kid could not hold its head up and can still not balence the skull well enought to walk. Light bumpy off roads i.e dirk trails / park service can be no worce than a Michigan paved road. More aggressive jerky driving, my kid is 7 and we are not there.
Having said that there is a photo somewhere on the sight from Youssef where he showed a modified rear bench seat. I think it had 5 a point harness system for the little ones - pretty cool. And finally on the other side, there is in the Misc. section a thread on photos from 2006. Look at the D-90 in the water hazzard and the caption. That thought literally makes me feel sick.
Old September 26th, 2006, 11:53 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Just a mile or 2 to the beach.....paved roads.

It should be fine, just have been overly cautious about him riding in the defender.
Thanks
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:40 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

i have a nine year old and my girlfriend has a 7 and an 8 year old.

i do not let them ride in the d at all. the only time they get to ride in the rig is up north in the woods on a logging road going 10 to 20 miles an hour. IMO there are too many corners and and such for them to get hurt. i also have a degree in ergonomics the d is not safe for children on a main road.
Old September 26th, 2006, 01:08 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

I recall the days riding in my dad's SIIA 88. Fond memories of doing donuts on the ice and bouncing all over in that rig. Some of my best memories with my father, and a love of Rovers was built there that then started a business later in life.
I share the same things now with my son. We tool around in my D90 with the top off and ride around in the fields. Yes, he is in a child seat and I was loose in the old 88, but I survived.
I also used to bike, skate board and ski without a helmet and I'm still here to tell the tales.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but... go buy a F'ing tan VOLVO!!!!

Let your kids be kids. There are levels of safety that are fine. Not every kid in todays world need to be brought up inside a plastic bubble with side, front and rear air bags. Jezz...

Old September 26th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Or get a 110!
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:17 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

ECR

to each his own. i want them to have less concusions than i had growning up. i do not like to put my son in a potentially dangourous situation if i don't have to. the guilt that i would have if something happened to him in the rover would kill me, they ride in the car, the d is my toy not his, he has his own. he also does not live in a bubble. you can ride a four wheeler with a helmet it doesn't take the fun out of it. just want my son to stay safe and take calculated risks thats all. he can snowboard the biggest mts. in the world as long as he knows how to stay in control and wears a helmet. and we have a blast on those logging roads in the woods.
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:31 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

To each his own is right. I wouldn't let my kid anywhere near a 4 wheeler (ATV) even with a helmet. Not saying helmets are stupid, they are wise and I wear one snowboarding now too... just making the point that those of us over 40 survived life before the "PC" and "Safety Police" existed and we all turned out OK.

I'd never deny my son rides in the dune buggy, boat, horses or on the farm tractor in the name of "keeping him safe" to possibly fend off my guilt in the event of an accident. IMO it is a diservice to the child.
Both my wife and I have had near death experiences (not related to cars or trucks or helmets) and it changes your outlook from "shelter/safety" to "carpe diem"... within reason.

As you say... to each his own.

Old September 26th, 2006, 02:37 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

well you can't be all bad at least you snoboard!

whistler is heaven on earth!
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:41 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved90
well you can't be all bad at least you snoboard!

whistler is heaven on earth!
Sadly there are only crappy and small east coast mountains here... but its still fun anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions