Child seating - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Amen ECR. As a structural engineer and EMT I can say that a child properly secured in the REAR SEAT of a D-90 is safer than 90% of the other vehicles on the road. Consider he / she is surrounded by a steel roll cage and at least 12" higher than most other vehicles. The soft top vs. hard top argument is ridicuouls- I would say a soft top is safer b/c the EMT's could get to the child faster.

I devised a LATCH system that utilizes the existing anchor points on the vehicle and keeps everything stock. You would never know it was there if it wasn't pointed out. It is configured to accept one or two car seats in the rear seat.

The LATCH system is superior to basic seat belt straps as it removes the "slop and play" you, no doubt, have using a lap belt to secure a car seat. I will post pictures and design details later.

P.S. L.A.T.C.H. = Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children

>Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2006, 02:55 PM
wineryrover
Robb
D90, SIII, LR3 & DII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyver_007
I will post pictures and design details later.

>Matt
Would love to see the pictures, Matt.

Thanks in advance.
Old October 5th, 2006, 03:20 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Yeah, the beauty of the system is that all car seats with the LATCH system (which is every car seat manufacturer that I know of) will work with my design. Furthermore, it's a VERY easy, cheap and quick install but does require a piece that you can't get at Home Depot. A picture is worth a thousand words so i'll spare you a description until i can find time to take some pics.

Also, you can put the car seats in and out of the Rover very quickly- no threading seat belts through the car seat and having them flop around as you roll down the road. A bomber design if i must say so.

A great addition to any kid-friendly rover and keeps everything looking stock.

>Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2006, 03:26 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wineryrover
Would love to see the pictures, Matt.

Thanks in advance.

Me Too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 5th, 2006, 05:34 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Found it http://www.defendersource.com/discus...es/46/958.html

If the link does not work, do a seach on rear seats or rear benches and this was posted by dmarchand (spelling)

God this site is great- just all so buried, d90googlisous!
Old October 5th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Something to consider guys and gals. Children are one thing but I would not let any infant (1-12) months ride in a D-90. With no crumple zones even a small accident has the impact value of a fast accident in a car that absorbes impacts better. I know the D-90 will "look" better in an accident but it is actually much harder on a passengers body than if it folded.

I would be seriously worried about a small child with developing neck muscles.

Just a thought. As to kids, throw them in there!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Buck, a good point. If you want the best kid safety buy a recent yr model import big SUV.

In my view they totally suck BUT if child safety is the #1 objective then size, crumple zones (guess you know a bit about that Mr. roll me roll me over again!). Modern cars are amazing and as a 40ish old I remenber the days of scrambling arround the back of the station wagon on the I75 and never wearing a seat belt. All things I can just not image doing with my kid. So today with all the crap in the world, buy a Camery for the kids, a Sequoia for the Mrs, and a D-90 for yourself.

Personally, I feel safer in the D90, I drive safer in the d90 but I hope to never ever really find out!

Drive safe, Drive defensively, Drive Smart
Old October 8th, 2006, 08:49 AM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Matt - could you do a pic or give a source for the LATCH system. I have been trying to figure out how to bolt on a LATCH system where the traditional seatbelt anchors on the floor. TIA

Michael
Old October 8th, 2006, 07:13 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Sorry for the delay fellas- been travelling this weekend and the hotel's internet is down- i'd rather have Internet than a TV! Anyhow, i'm heading back home tonight and will try and post some pictures and desciptions for you.

Regarding the crumple zones- they're great as long as you're not in one! For the most part the kids in the D-90 never see more than about 35mph going to and from school or out for a Sunday drive. I suppose you can be extra safe by only leaving your house if it's on fire. Otherwise, do what you can to allow your family to enjoy such a unique vehicle as a Defender, install a LATCH system and drive safe.

I'll see what i can put together tonight- sorry for the tease.

>Matt
Old October 13th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Hey everyone, Exmoor just updated their website with a new splash AND released a brand new product for Defenders-a rear load area forward facing folding seat that is child seat compliant. Check it out! http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/erol.html#1X0
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Daisy
Tanja Norris

Fantastic news. Thank you
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Matt, any luck with the LATCH pics?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:13 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

I started a new thread and posted it under "L.A.T.C.H. System Easily Installed on D-90 " complete with pictures. Sorry for the delay.

>Matt
Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:23 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
The rear seats are pretty fresh! about 30 secs in.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:17 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
I know I'm going to get flamed for this but... go buy a F'ing tan VOLVO!!!!

Let your kids be kids. There are levels of safety that are fine. Not every kid in todays world need to be brought up inside a plastic bubble with side, front and rear air bags. Jezz...
Yea, and make sure you hang a "Baby on Board" sign in the back.

Oh, and the Volvo has only one "safest" rear-in-the-center seating position, so you can only carry one child in it. If you see a child riding in any other position, make sure to call DFS on the parents.

Look, safety is a continuum. Declaring that only a single type of vehicle and seating configuration is "safe" and everything else is "unsafe", is not how life is. One could just as well argue that the only safe thing is to keep them home, and never put them in a vehicle (the only 100% way to be sure they'll never be injured in a vehicle accident).

Safety is about eliminating the biggest risks, and minimizing the rest; e.g., wearing seat belts was an easy, no-brainer way to eliminate alot of dangers associated with vehicles. Once researchers realized a great deal of accidents were survivable, but people got hurt when they either made contact with the interior, or were ejected from it, it was obvious that they made sense. Same thing with child car seats.

In a D-90, according to the owner's manual the front passenger seat is usable for rear-facing infant seats, forward-facing toddler seats, and forward-facing booster seats. The rear jump seats are not. My son rode up front since he was an infant in the D-90 as long as he needed a seat; now he rides up from when it's just him and me, and usually in the back with his friends. We both walked away from a highway accident two years ago without a scratch. First thing the Sherrif said was, "you both must have been wearing seat belts".

Quote:
With no crumple zones even a small accident has the impact value of a fast accident in a car that absorbes impacts better.
How do you know it doesn't have a crumple zone? Body-on-frame vehicles can have "crumple zones" as well; i.e., the frame in the passenger area is designed to deform after the enginer area does.
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:31 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I am currently working on a rigging for a kiddo that is on the way for a rear facing infant carrier. When I get some finished pics I will send them in. I have a 90 soft top and drive my two year old, pregnant wife and 100 pound golden to braums every night after dinner to get desert and also look for tractors. Call me irresponsible but that is my favorite thing about each day, and my Son might tend to agree as he is usually standing on my nerf bar before I can finish dinner.
Old October 25th, 2006, 08:43 PM
RBees
Robert Bees
1994 D90 #8

Rear seats in D90

I have a couple of questions. In my D90, the rear seat was installed facing the REAR of the vehicle. The seatbelts mount to the top of the roll cage behind the drivers seat and a reinforced bolt through plate on the outside of the tub (which was pretty corroded when I removed it to put in a new mat). In most of the pics I have seen, the rear facing seat is at the back, facing forward. Was this the 'stock' installation in a 94 D90 ? If so, can anyone help me out with where all the belt mount points are, where the seat bolt mounts are and how the thing is generally supposed to fit/work with the tilt forward ?

Second point (more of an observation really) based on my experience as an EMT is that what will kill you most of the time is a penetration of the passenger compartment (by say a TREE or a piece of another vehicle), or blunt force trauma from something within the vehicle being thrown around. So, if you have kid in the back - make sure everything else is well stowed. At least THAT part is under your control. I'm thankful that I have not yet had to witness a mangled child in a car. Adults are bad enough.
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO
How do you know it doesn't have a crumple zone? Body-on-frame vehicles can have "crumple zones" as well; i.e., the frame in the passenger area is designed to deform after the enginer area does.
Land Rover openly states that there are no crumple zones. It has nothing to do with body on frame.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Land Rover openly states that there are no crumple zones. It has nothing to do with body on frame.
If you know of/find a reference for that, let me know. 'just interested.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions