Child Safety - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 14th, 2004, 01:45 AM
chach
Chris Chiaia

Child Safety

My D-90 doesn't have a rear seat and I want to somehow install a child seat for my 6month old child. Since my wife would probably ride with us as well, I can't put the infant seat in the passenger seat. I am thinking about buying a forward facing rear seat and then put the infant seat in that. Are there any suggestions, and is it even legal or safe to put an infant in the D-90. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2004, 01:51 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Chris,
I don't know if that would even be legal..It seems like it could work but I know for sure I wouldn't put my infant in my D90, especially with it being a soft top....I would seriously think that it would be illegal and if i am correct the safety was one reason why the D90's aren't being sent over to America anymore......I would start by checking the laws of your state before you spend money on the seat and all...

Jason Habbal

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:13 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Chris

My wife and I just had a little girl last Tuesday and in order for her to ride along in the D90 I sold all my jump seats and bought a rear bench al-a the D90 source Wanted Section. I don't think I'd feel even remotely comfortable with her anywhere else. Just my 0.02

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2004, 02:23 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

First, congratulations with the new babies

It is legal to have an infant in a D90 as long as you have the right car seat, 3 point seat belts, and the child seat facing backward or forward but side to side. Actually my 4 year old son sits in the front seat when we are in the D90, and my 6 in the back. I just feel much safer to see my son beside me rather then behind me. I don't see any problem for your child riding shotgun as long there is no airbag. I know of a lot of people here in CO that had their toddlers in the back seat with no problem. If you are planning to add the rear seat make sure you get the right parts and install it right.

Good luck,

Oh yeah, my info based on when I took my D90 to the fire dept. to make sure everything looks good and my kids riding in safe.
Old April 14th, 2004, 09:59 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
put the baby in a car seat in the front seat. Put the wife in the back. I think the D-90 is safer than most cars on the road.
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:55 AM
javelinadave
-
-

I agree.
Real steel frame vs Unibody. My money is on the steel!
Old April 14th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Seanh
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda

I was in the same boat about three years ago when we had our first. My 90 had no rear seat so I did some research. It is legal to have an infant in the rear of a 90 and I believe it is a safe as well. That said the 90 is Not the safest place for anyone when compared to a modern vehicle. I had a seat professionally installed to make sure it was put in well. Matt at Rockware did it for us. The seat was from a Jeep and not a 90 because we couldn't find a 90 seat at the time. The brackets were custom made and the floor was reinforced. When it's just my son and I his seat is in the front. I like to have him near so we can talk and laugh. Like Yousef said it just feels better to have him up front. Just an interesting tidbit but a study recently completed in the U.K found the Defender to have the best record of all vehicles in England with regard to injuries and fatalities. This info was reported in LRO. I'm not sure how much data would be applicable here in the U.S but that study made me feel more confident.
Old April 14th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Ever since my son was born he has been in the front seat beside me in my 1995 D90 SW and the wife in the back seat behind him. My father, the local, Police Department Sargeant had is car seat expert come by and tell my wife since she didn't believe me. I added a different spin to it.... let's just say I now have rock sliders.... for side impact protection.

Troy
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:48 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Thanks Yousef! Going to the fire department is a great idea to check on the child seat!

DJ
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Doug_Paoletti
Douglas P. Paoletti
'94 D90

For what it's worth, I frequently put my two girls (7 and 4) in the D90 with me. They both sit in car seats, sometimes both in the back (forward facing rear bench) and sometimes one in the front. I have nothing to back this up, but I don't see any reason why the D90 would be any less safe than any other vehicle of its type. The reason it is not imported into the US any longer (as far as I understand) is that it does not have airbags and it would have been too expensive for LR to retrofiit it with them. Airbags obviously do not help with infant safety since no infant should sit in a seat equiped with an airbag.
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:50 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Yeah your right...There were a number of reasons but i do remember that air bags were one of the reasons....I am not real clear on all the details.....Basically, if it were me, i would not want my infant riding in a soft top..If something were to happen theres more of a chance that something bad will happen to the infant with a soft top rather than a hard top vehicle...Going to the fire dept. is a good idea...Just my $0.02

Jason Habbal

Old April 14th, 2004, 07:02 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
if the child is properly secured, and their car seat is secure I see no problems?
Old April 14th, 2004, 09:54 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Theres just a lot more risk with a soft top than a hard top.....Im not saying its not safe, but logically theres a bigger risk with a soft top if the vehicle were to roll over once or multiple times than if it rolled with a hard top vehicle....I mean for myself, when i have a kid he/she will def. ride in my defender but once hes out of the infant stage...I just think theres a lot of risk with an infant and a soft top vehicle......But i see things differently than a lot of people......

Old April 15th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Seanh
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda

I'm not sure if I agree with you about a hard top being much safer. The hardtop is made of aluminum and apears to be fairly weak in terms of structure. I do feel that in a rollover adults woud be more at risk when limbs made their way out of the cage. In terms of children I think the cage would do a good job of protecting a properly restrained child in a child seat. From what I have seen the NAS roll cage is fairly stout and holds up very well in rollover crashes. For some images check ouy Roverwrecks.
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:06 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

It may be fairly weak but ill take my chances any day with a hard-top vehicle over a soft top any day......As for a rollover, I have seen pics as well and yes, the roll bars are stout but in my own opinion i would rather flip in a hardtop than a soft top......Just my $0.02

Old April 15th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Maybe we need to come up with a baby cage, It goes around the baby seat so in case of a rollover and has branch deflectors to protect the baby from getting hit by tree limbs. Its just an idea.
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:13 PM
januconn92
Jan Jurgielewicz
97 D90 #1477 Green ST

I'm in the same boat

I have a 9 month old and my wife was not too keen but putting him in the truck, bu the infant carrier in the front seat worked well after we installed it. NOW comes to warm months and I plan to have the top off as much as possible, My peditrician said the decision is up to us, the cool thing was she knows about Defenders !!

In the end, I made my wife a deal that he will ride topless at 1 year old.

As long as everything is properly secured, it should be cool.

PS, Chris, congrats on buying a truck, what color did you end up with and where did you buy it from??
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:41 PM
chach
Chris Chiaia

Jan! Thanks for asking

Jan - it's good to hear from you, I hope you sold your other defender now that you have that awesome 97 - I hope the wife is enjoying the automatic!! I'm glad your doctor knew what a Defender is, I'm not sure if my doctor is that hip!

I found a great 95 D-90 Yellow with oly 24,000miles in New Jersey and fell in love with it. I think my wife would rather have an automatic as well, but we didn't find a reasonable one out there. Since you are so close, send me an email at chachonline@hotmail.com with your number again, and we can trade some info about the baby seats, rear storage and some other fun stuff about the car. I'm currently talking to badger coachworks about some cool top options.

Talk to you soon

p.s. I went on my first mountain bike ride with it up in your area and the bikes fit nicely with the forks leaning on the rear roll bar.
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:50 PM
januconn92
Jan Jurgielewicz
97 D90 #1477 Green ST

nice..

Chris,
I'll email you but we need to go biking, I know a few others that want to go. I need to get a hitch bike carrier ASAP.

Yeah, the other truck sold on eBay, got what I wanted. As for the 97', this weekend the hardtop is coming off and I'm moving forward with a crazy stereo installation.

Glad to hear about your truck, it will be sweet if we go biking and there are 2 D90's parked out there. My bike, Yellow Santa Cruz, matches your truck !!

Talk to you soon.

Jan
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:02 PM
chach
Chris Chiaia

Jan! Thanks for asking

Jan - it's good to hear from you, I hope you sold your other defender now that you have that awesome 97 - I hope the wife is enjoying the automatic!! I'm glad your doctor knew what a Defender is, I'm not sure if my doctor is that hip!

I found a great 95 D-90 Yellow with oly 24,000miles in New Jersey and fell in love with it. I think my wife would rather have an automatic as well, but we didn't find a reasonable one out there. Since you are so close, send me an email at chachonline@hotmail.com with your number again, and we can trade some info about the baby seats, rear storage and some other fun stuff about the car. I'm currently talking to badger coachworks about some cool top options.

Talk to you soon

p.s. I went on my first mountain bike ride with it up in your area and the bikes fit nicely with the forks leaning on the rear roll bar.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions