Child Car Seat Laws - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:33 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

Child Car Seat Laws

I realize there was a previous discussion about this but I have a specific question about where kids who use a car seat ride in a D-90.

I have a 3 year old daughter. I have the car seat buckled up to the passenger seat in front next to me. Since there is no air bag I have assumed this was the best, safest (and only) place to put a car seat in the 90.

Unfortunately, like maybe some others, I have an ex who likes to start things with me constantly. Today, when I picked my daughter up my ex initialy refused to give her to me attempting to imply that it was unsafe for my daughter to ride in the front with me. I said the vehicle did not have a passenger air bag and it was safe. But knowing her, this is, in her mind, an "opportunity" and it will not be the last time I will hear about it.

Can anyone shed light on specific laws that might govern this or point me to a website that I could print out that would put this fire out before it blazes.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:51 PM
tmore
Tom More
1995 D90

I have been through the same drill. For Colorado law there is aweb site I think was Carseatcolorado.com that listed all of the current regulations I would bet that something exists for your state.... My fall back to the inevitable front seat question is where do you put a carseat in a pickup truck?.. I beleive that in 1999 all light trucks were required to have dual airbags and sometime after they were required to be user disabled for child passengers etc.
good luck
Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:51 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I would look up the FL DOT website. I have a new baby and just checked out the NC DOT. Here it is ok if there is no front airbag. Good luck with the ex, she is just probably pissed that she can't ride there anymore

ps here it is.... http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/CPS/
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would let her not give you your daughter and then haul her into court for interfering with a court order, kidnapping or whatever you could get her on.

Play hardball, do not play nice.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:44 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I would let her not give you your daughter and then haul her into court for interfering with a court order, kidnapping or whatever you could get her on.

Play hardball, do not play nice.

GEEZ! Spoken like a true Jerk Ron! Let the child suffer in order to stick it to the ex-wife.

Rick

I think Burke hit the nail on the head with Florida DOT site, but if there's any doubt you should look at the USDOT here: (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/). Additionally, for added incentive you can always drop by your local fire department and have them check out the child seat and its harness. I'd steer clear from Ron's advice. That'll only throw fuel on the fire.

DJ
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Well DJ (i mean neville chamberlin)

She is trying to stick it to him.

No sense in putting up with any BS, it only begats more BS
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:53 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

As my pediatrician explained it to me once:

1.) It's more dangerous to ride in a car than not. If you don't want to be injured in a car, or you don't want your child to be, than you/her should stay out of cars.

2.) For most people, (1.) isn't practical. But if you're going to be sitting in a car, sitting in a back seat is in general safer than sitting in front seat. Not just for children, but for everyone one. The safest place for ANY passenger to ride is in the back seat.

3.) However, (2.) sometimes changes based on circumstances. FOr example, the jury is still out on whether a front seat with shoulder belts is in fact more dangerous than a back seat with just lap belts, or whether a middle-back with just a lap belt is better than an outside-back with shoulder belts. As another example, in cars with airbags, the front seat is significantly more dangerous for children under 7, especially if the children are unbelted or they are in rear-facing car seats.

4.) All these subtleties are too much to put in the typical 15-second Public Safety message, whihc is designed to be comprehended by grade-school-dropout mouthbreathers. So they condense the message down to: NEVER PUT KIDS IN THE FRONT SEAT. The NHTSA also rounded the 7-year age up to 12, just to add a safety factor. This is the best choice for most cars, but in a D-90, the best, and only place to put a kid in a car seat is in the front passenger seat. That's where my son always rode when he was little.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Well if you are really paranoid you could buy a soft top back seat. Or maybe find a way to bolt the seat directly to the floor. Factoring out the effect of decelleration or fire I can't imagine an impact where the something low to the ground in the back would be effected.

. . . or wuss out and trade it in on a disco . . .
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:41 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

Thanks for the quick responses. But while I appreciate all of the feedback I also do not want to put my daughter in the middle of things. She gets put through enough by being pulled back and forth from me to the ex. Just the logistics for a child in this situation are hard.

I also know my ex will stop at nothing to get to me. That's why I KNOW I will hear about this. I think, as Burke said, she is just pissed she is not with me anymore. She is mad for life since I filed for divorce when I had taken more than enough from her. Every since then, false charges, and every angle possible to "get me" have been used. I have defended myself effectively every time (at the cost of about two additional Defenders this last year alone) but it is so hard since all I want is a decent relationship and my time with my daughter. I apologize if anyone takes offense to this thread and I sincerely am not tring to make this my personal soapbox. But if any of you have been through it, you will understand.

I will check out the FL website and may call the Florida State troopers myself to make sure I am doing everything as safely as possible. Any other feedback regarding the laws and personal experience with the use of car seats in a D-90 will be appreciated.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:52 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I would think with the nature of how the Defenders rear seat just flips forward, the front seat in a non-air bag truck would be the best place.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:17 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

rick she might just be made you got the defender and she didnt
Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:49 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

If I can add one more thing to the discussion.
If you don't already have rock sliders, now would be a great time to fit some. They offer a huge amount of side protection OFF the trail as well.
It would be a hard point for your ex to argue.
Best of luck (been there)
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:38 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Rick, I am a child safty seat tech in NJ and there is nothing wrong with the front seat in a d-90. If you have a rear bench seat that has shoulder belts, then it can go in the back. IF not, the only logical place is the front seat (forward facing). You can call up your local PD an dthey should have a car seat tech that can check it for you. IT is free and will help you in any way needed. also, check out this web site. www.nhtsa.gov for any further info.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:14 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
WOW...I'm glad I'm single.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:58 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

Thank you very much Randy. That is what I was looking for.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

« Roof Leaks? | A Bar »