Chevy Transmission to LT230 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 18th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Chevy Transmission to LT230

How many guys have successfully dropped Small Block Chevy (350) in Defenders ?
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I really think the only thing that holds this back being popular is that lack of an adapter between desirable gearboxes and the LT230. If that was an off the shelf item, more people would do it. The engine fits fine. It seems surprising to me that someone has not done a proper kit.
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:32 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
What is/are 'desirable' trans'? Mark's does an adaptor for a few GMs to LT230. Is there a problem with the Marks' adaptor set up? Isn't Advance Adaptors the US distributor for Mark's? Or am I getting confused?

Serious enquiry, not a knock. I am pondering a 4L80e to LT230 issue and Mark's was the option I had looked at so if there is anything I should know?...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The Mark's one does not really exist, I believe is the problem or least has not for a very long time.
Old February 18th, 2012, 06:42 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
What makes you say that?

Admittedly I haven't actually tried to buy one yet but according to my email conversation with them as of last week its 10 days door to door away from receipt of payment?? They also do an adaptor for the GM VSS (if you are using an electronic trans with the GM PCM and need the GM VSS) and an engine mount adaptor kit to adapt the GM mounts to the RV8 mounts on the frame.

All that said, I have read reports that it can take a long time to get it in your hands. Seen reports of up to 6 months. Also there has been at least one case where the holes were drilled wrong on the adaptor and it had to be replaced. Main problem I have is getting an accurate idea on how much length it adds to the set up so I can work out where the LT230 is going to have to sit. To be fair though that is based only on web research and not having actually asked Marks the question yet.

There used to be a company in the UK also providing adaptors but they seem to have gone away and I can't remember the name.

I know it's not that difficult to make or have your own made. But to be honest it will probably end up costing about the same to have done (I don't have access to a lathe) so I would rather go with a 'tried and tested' off the shelf solution if there is a good one out there.

Mark's (if it exists) have the only off the shelf one I know of at the moment so if there is an alternative either on shelf or in the works I am really interested. Also really interested to hear any good or bad reports on the Mark's set up.

There seem to be a few more options if you retain the rover trans but I don't want to go that way.
Old February 18th, 2012, 06:59 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Thx Jeff.

Yes I am considering an auto and I think it was only the autos it was listed for. Although I think some of the GM sticks match the autos at the rear so it could be used. Not an expert there though so it's only a guess.

If AA are looking to make something I would be interested in seeing what they come up with. Length is my primary concern so if they make a shorter set up that would be cool.

One of the things I liked about the Marks kit was that they have the drillings and flanges for the High/Low shifter and also the t-case to frame mount so all stock stuff can be re-used.

If you can get hold of or duplicate an early RR TorqueFlite adaptor housing then it's only a case of making a spacer adaptor and a spud shaft, but they are hard to come by over here and you still have the machining costs to make the other bits. Benefit is that you can pretty much adapt to most things if the output shaft isn't too long or short.

Looking to try and avoid clocking if I can and no room to divorce.
Old February 18th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
What makes you say that?
Various threads over the year with people saying they could not get one.
Old February 18th, 2012, 08:09 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Yeah, saw some where there had been issues in getting one quickly but nothing to say they couldn't get one at all.

I contacted them via their website link about 4 weeks or so ago. Took them 3 weeks to respond the 1st time with apologies to say they were moving shop. Once I got the 1st contact though it was pretty quick after that. They sent me installation manuals and details on the stuff and answered a couple of questions with no problems and the price quote wasn't bad.

I've seen a few examples of them in pics like Jeff sent and projects where various engines and trans combos have been fitted to trucks over the years. Most common complaint was delivery time other than the one case of a bad part.

Contacted AA a while ago since they are listed as the US Distributor but they pointed me to Marks direct as they don't have any experience with the kit they said.

Forgot to ask the key question (length) when I was talking to them and my research since has given me a pretty wide range of answers to the question (anywhere from 1-5" added). So I have to drop them a line and ask that one as it's the most key issue I have other than TC front output housing and prop shaft clearance on the side of the trans. Haven't got round to it yet though.

I know there are a number of different ways of doing this from broaching the input gear of the TC to building your own adaptor set up but they all come with different pros and cons and none of them are an off the shelf bolt it up and go (including Marks) like you said originally. Not sure if it's possible to make one to be honest with all the different factors involved depending on the engine/trans combo you are wanting to install.

My experience with doing this right now is simple armchair design postulation, not having actually done it (yet) or knowing anybody personally that has. So any and all input is welcome. I am considering the future build of a project truck that exists only in theory at the moment so just trying to nail down as many foreseeable issues as I can before I have a pile of parts in front of me and a lot of head scratching going on.

------ Follow up post added February 18th, 2012 06:14 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Best thing to do is give AA a call on Monday. They can confirm/deny the Marks stock, and the timeframe/ details of their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

-Jeff

Already talked to Marks and they said its ready to go from receiving payment. Last time I talked to AA they pointed me to Marks direct as they said they didn't have any experience with it. Probably need to circle round and talk to them again though and ask about the new one they are considering.

Not anywhere near being ready to buy so It's more a case of researching what is out there and comparing the different pros and cons of the different solutions.

Be good if AA does come up with an alternate solution as they are a lot closer.
Old February 18th, 2012, 08:32 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
John,

Any way you can post this part of the thread to a new thread? I know this question rolls around from time to time and being buried at the end of this thread won't make it easy to find. Think the OP got his question answered but this is still a pretty major hijack.

Ian
Old February 18th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
OK, I split this off at Ian's request. Seems to make sense.
Old February 18th, 2012, 09:40 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Velardi View Post
How many guys have successfully dropped Small Block Chevy (350) in Defenders ?
I have parts to put an LT95 behind a SBC. Assembled to a LT95. Available for sale. You trying for your 101FC?

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 18th, 2012, 09:45 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Thx John.
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

not for the 101, looking for the wife's 110. Although the SBC is a tempting transplant, I doubt it would be much less expensive than a tweaked 4.6 and it wont devalue the vehicle like the sbc would to some Rover enthusiasts . But If anyone knows of a decent 4.6 looking for a new home let me know.
Old February 19th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I have the Marks adapter for a 4L80E transmission to the LT230 transfer case and I got it through Advanced Adapters.
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:50 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Aha, so it does exist...

AA denied any experience of it when I called them a while back. Could have just been whoever answered the phone though I guess. I will circle back with them because I want to ask them about their own adaptor anyway.

Did you have any issues with it Chris? Take a while to get it? Any bad manufacturing faults or anything? What clearance issues did you have with the side of the 4L80e and the T-Case/front prop shaft, any? Any idea what sort of length it added to the set up over stock (guess that depends on engine)? Where you able to retain the stock location/orientation of the TC or did you have to move/clock it?

Sorry for all the question but you're the first live person I've talked to who's done this.
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:44 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Do you guys read LRM?

You little rebel, I like you.
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:47 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Haven't seen a copy in a long while. Did they do a write up on this or something recently?
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:52 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
There was an article on a guy that put a 7.6 Chevy engine into a 90.

Old February 20th, 2012, 04:54 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Any idea what issue?
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:09 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Feb 2012. It came out over here about 2 months ago.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lt230, transmission