Chequer plate panels? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Dave C
1983 110
Chequer plate panels?

I've noticed a lot of chequer plate on older 110's on ebay and the like. I don't mean the use on top of the wings, I mean chequer plate panels...
Obvious one is the sills -there seems to be a lot of these, which makes me think someone must be making them?

But what about when you see chequer plate behind the rear wheels, or even the triangular-ish panel on 110 SW's under the door and rear panel? Are folks doing this because it looks 'cool' (not my personal opinion BTW) or is it generally done to hide damage?

Basically, is the prescense of chequer-plate more often than not a 'caution flag' ?

Old October 30th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
I would say yes. There are people that just like it, and want to install it, but I would be very cautious, especially if you are seeing it on '83s being brought into the US...many of them are rust buckets. You have to remember that a Defender is a work truck in the UK, they get treated like an '83 ford/chevy/dodge pickup does here.

"I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me." - Winston Churchill
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
Its kind of silly to put on checkerplate to hide damage on an easily replaceable panel, like the "triangle" pieces you mention, but when they start appearing at the bottoms of doors, crossmembers, etc, then something is likely amiss.

For myself, I thought it was amusing at first that I had a vehicle I could put tread plate on, but the novelty wore off after a while. Now my philosophy is that it only belongs where you need to step on it, although it is satisfying sometimes to come out to a parking space and find someone else's paint on my checkerplate sills. Serves them right for being inconsiderate about dooring other people's cars.
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Bryan Tate
Reminds me of my father-in-law's explorer.
Everytime he backs into something he just puts a sticker over the dent/ding. He looks like a college kid with all the stickers on the back
Old October 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
if its anywhere other than wingtops or sill covers its probably covering some problem. I like it for floor plates and sw door interior panels. Rear cross member covers are akin to a mine field warning sign.
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions