Checking the LT230 Breather - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 12th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90
Checking the LT230 Breather

My D-90's Transfer case has always leaked. It not too bad...more of a seeping. I know that this is pretty standard for the LT230 but the smell of gear oil makes me nuts.

I've had the seals replaced and it has helped a little but it still leaks. I really can't tell where it's coming from other than I see the oil on the bolts at the bottom of the case.

I'd like to check the breather to make sure it's not clogged and adding to my leaks by building up too much pressure in the case.

What the best way to do this?

I'm hoping that I can do this from under the D-90 as I really don't want to have to pull my Tuffy console and access plate under it.

Any suggestions or tips?

Old December 12th, 2010, 11:48 PM
'02 Discovery Kalahari '07 RR SC
D-90 Source Vendor
Pulling the center panel in the seat box definitely gives you the best view. (see attachment) Might as well upgrade the all the breathers too...
Attached Images

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions