Checking codes on '94 D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 24th, 2006, 11:11 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Checking codes on '94 D90

Hey guys,

My check engine light has been coming on at random times. When I shut the truck off and start it up again it goes away and all is well. The only thing I have noticed is that sometimes the idle dips quite low after starting when warm, but it comes right back up to normal. Other than that it has been running great. I would just like to know what's tripping the light.

I read on here that there is a display underneath the passenger seat, but I have been unable to locate one. Am I missing it? I found what all the fault codes mean from robisonservice.com, so I'm all set there.

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2006, 11:42 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

On a 94 NAS D90 the code display is in the RH footwell (behind the AC if you have factory AC).

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:48 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Thanks Mike. There is a panel there that looks like it can be removed with a few screws. I assume that's it? You don't mean literally behind the A/C do you? That would be a pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2006, 03:40 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Yup, behind the AC and depending on the mood of the guy who instaleld the AC back in 1994 it could be easy to get or hard to get.
If you look at the bottom of the AC duct (the pastci part that holds the vents) that runs side to side in the car you'll see little plugs (or holes if the plugs are gone already). Remove the plugs and the AC vents and you can get the screws that hold the upper duct to the lower dash and that gets the AC duct out of the way. This will expose the top of the AC system and hopefully the code reader and the diagnostic plug.

This is for the factroy 1994 AC system only. The later replacement systems are very different.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:34 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Alright great. Took a look. It doesn't look too difficult. I just have another question though. Since the check engine light only comes on randomly (I couldn't get it to come on driving around today), will the code be stored even if the light isn't on? I don't want to take all that off then have no code there.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer this for me. It's what makes this place great!
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:18 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I believe the code reader only displays when the Check engine light is on....
At least that's what mine seems to do.
You can turn the key to accessory position and look for larger red numbers on the bottom of the display. You will not miss them if the check engine light is on
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:35 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Ok thanks. That seems to be how it's behaving. Now I just need to get the check engine light to come on.
Old August 28th, 2006, 05:23 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Ok I've got something strange going on. The check engine light finally came on, but I got nothing on the display. Let me just make sure that I'm looking at the right display. I've attached a photo to this post.

Thanks again for your time guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	display.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	6401  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90