Checking center diff end float - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 16th, 2016, 01:53 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Checking center diff end float

So I'm aware that Land Rover isn't known for making tightest, most noise free drivetrains but I think it's become excessive on my truck and I'd like to dive into the T-case and see what I can find. It really clunks loud when I let out the clutch or change gears and when it's parked in gear I'm getting about a 1/4 rotation of the driveshafts before it locks up so I think it's time to start looking, so I was curious if I could check end float with the box installed. For the center diff, can I check the float with the intermediate gear installed or does that all have to come out? Lastly, can I check movement on the input gear with it installed on the transmission? I've never opened one of these up before but I've been watching videos so.. I willing to at least take a look.
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Probably not end float issues, most likely worn input/output shaft splines or shaft collar bearing. This is a very common problem
Old June 18th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Loosing the washers inside the LT230 generally will cause some more issues!
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Remove the PTO cover and then rotate the output shaft back and forth to look at input spline wear.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 19th, 2016, 07:46 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
On the bench mine looked fine. No apparent gear wear or excessive lashing but in the truck there is some play when shifting. Over time I find you adapt to minimize the affects by timing your
Shifts and playing with rpms. Sucks but just another little character traits we love to hate sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 19th, 2016, 03:30 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Been all over the Brit, Aussie, and ZA forums dealing with a clunk in my driveline.

Adjusting your shift or "live with it" are not the correct answers, according to those forums.

Properly toleranced and adjusted t-case, gearbox, clutch, and diffs will make the difference.
Old June 19th, 2016, 03:40 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGH View Post
Been all over the Brit, Aussie, and ZA forums dealing with a clunk in my driveline. Adjusting your shift or "live with it" are not the correct answers, according to those forums. Properly toleranced and adjusted t-case, gearbox, clutch, and diffs will make the difference.
That's helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions