check engine light on - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2010, 11:50 AM
matansas
jon lyons
97 AA Convertible

check engine light on

Ok fixed the gauge lights, tail lights and now check engine light on steady. 50 miles from a LR dealer. Book says if its not flashing don't panic. Can i wait or someone said disconnect bateery and see if it resets. I of course check gas cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 11:57 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Go to autozone and buy a $30 OBD II code reader and see what it is. Snice you have a 1997, that will read the code and you can google what the code means. John Robison Service has a list of them online.

Ron
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

If it's a '97 disconnecting the battery won't do it. You'll have to have the code(s) read. Any local auto parts store will usually read them for you free of charge.

EDIT: What Ron said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 12:23 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by matansas View Post
Ok fixed the gauge lights, tail lights and now check engine light on steady. 50 miles from a LR dealer. Book says if its not flashing don't panic. Can i wait or someone said disconnect bateery and see if it resets. I of course check gas cap.
I don't panic even when it's flashing. Goes solid after 10-15 seconds. Usually the rough road sensor.
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You can get it read for free at most places, but you want to buy your own scanner as they are cheap. Make sure to get a scanner than can clear and not just read, codes.
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:28 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
You can get it read for free at most places, but you want to buy your own scanner as they are cheap. Make sure to get a scanner than can clear and not just read, codes.

Second that.

The local Autozone is convinced that it is against Texas law to erase the code. Drove me crazy enough just to buy my own scanner. They dont seem to understand that erasing the code doesnt fix the problem and the light will just come right back if it is a real problem.
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM
matansas
jon lyons
97 AA Convertible

thanks

Rig sleeping in Ma for a few weeks, but i will pick up scanner and hope for the best

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
check engine light, engine, ht