Cheap shipping LARGE items - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 1st, 2007, 05:04 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

Exclamation Cheap shipping LARGE items

Sup guys,

Well, i was just wondering how everyone likes to ship things presently and in the past, in particular large items such as roll cages, roof racks, hoods, hardtops, etc..

Knowledge from past experiences would be great, etc. (bad experiences as well as good)

Has anyone found a great way to ship things like this for cheap ? And i know its not neccessarily cheap cheap but cheaper than the norm is what i mean..Anyone found a good little method or some kind of a loophole? hah

any input and suggestions would be much appreciated..

thx
-ky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2007, 06:35 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Forward Air is a good choice, I've used them numerous times. A 500 pound pallet with a pair of axles on it cost 600 from Seattle to New Orleans, and a huge crate with a D90 SW roof cost about 500 for New Orleans to San Francisco.
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:13 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

I second forward air, also R&L Carriers was reasonable for an axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2007, 09:08 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I also used forward air when I shipped heavy stuff. Only downside is you have to bring everything to the airport and get it on a pallet. Might be a pain depending on where you live.
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
I have used Forward Air a few times and I have been very happy with them.

Also, try www.uship.com. It is like eBay for shipping things (cars, bikes, anything). I had a motorcycle shipped out from Colorado at half the cost of all the other commercial carriers I received quotes from. There was a trucker passing through the city the bike was in. It was delivered about 4 days later.
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Greyhound is also a not well known secret, although you do cap on size (not sure how big, but must fit under bus). I had a bonnet shipped for next to nothing to me. Only condition is pickup and delivery must be at a greyhound station.
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:08 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Oddly enough DHL ships big stuff. I shipped my 700lb Harley Fatboy from El Paso to Baltimore for $300 about a year and a half ago and it only took two days. I have also used Forward Air many times-its got to be on a pallet or crate for most of these companies.
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:04 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

I actually shipped Doug a roof rack via Forward Air. It was not the best experience. They gave me an initial estimate, but when I actually got there, the price was much higher (although maybe still cheaper than the alternatives). Also, they would only take a cashiers check or money order so you had to drive to a mini-market to get that. Finally, their location is quite a distance from me so it was not real convenient. I'm not sure I would use them again although I don't know if the alternatives are any better or worse.
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sakurada
I actually shipped Doug a roof rack via Forward Air. It was not the best experience. They gave me an initial estimate, but when I actually got there, the price was much higher (although maybe still cheaper than the alternatives). Also, they would only take a cashiers check or money order so you had to drive to a mini-market to get that. Finally, their location is quite a distance from me so it was not real convenient. I'm not sure I would use them again although I don't know if the alternatives are any better or worse.
I had a similar experience, but the price quoted turned out to be the correct one. Forward Air doesn't operate around town. They only ship from and to thier installations, which are only located around major airports.
Old June 4th, 2007, 03:34 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

thx so much for the input and information everyone ... im going to look into my options and definitly check out the greyhound suggestion cause thats the second time i have actually heard that.. once i figure out information and rates ill post some information so everyone can check it out prices comparitively.
-ky

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
shipping