Chassis swap questions - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 31st, 2013, 08:09 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
It may have been unique to the RORO form of transport, I am not positive on container shipping.

Basically concerning RORO you couldn't drive a vehicle on if it wasn't taxed ect. I am positive I read it or dealt with it while shipping my truck.
This is completely false. I regularly ship sorn and exmod vehicles with no mot or tax ro/ro. Think about it, why would a shipping line care if a truck has road tax ?
I have also shipped totally non running trucks, and even rolling body shells via ro/ro. Shipping lines charge an additional tow on tow off fee of about $250 for those.

------ Follow up post added March 31st, 2013 08:19 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGH View Post

One of the rules is you are required to utilize the services of a Registered Importer. Here's the current list. http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...st12282012.pdf

Oddly enough one of the RIs that specializes in LRs isn't on the list. But you can find him around here if you look.
Nothing odd @ all. You are incorrect. A registered importer is only required when the vehicle being imported is newer than 25yrs of age ie "non conforming"and needs to be "federalized" under a bonded entry think back to the movie "Rain Man"-thats what Cruise was trying to do with the Lambo's.. Since I have no desire to perform these Federalizing modifications there was no point in getting registered, as that was the only reason/upside. I have imported in excess of 300 of these trucks and am very familiar with the laws.
Read further before making such statements.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2013, 08:29 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
I'm a bit lat with the response but look at the following thread and you may find your answer.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=44229

You were also corrected in the thread you link. There is no 60% original verbiage anywhere in any DOT statute nor in any published opinion/interpretation from DOT. This is completely false. The party questioning you on your source is an atty.
Postings on forums are not a source. There is an incredible amount of personal opinions and missinformation in some of these threads and many seemingly trust this content and even quote it and post links.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 31st, 2013, 01:38 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry

Well said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2013, 01:00 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Are you telling me that my 25 y/o D90 could have had every part new except the engine? I wish I knew this before shipping my truck here.
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Update:

I convinced myself the best way to get what I want is to buy something like this for $32k;

http://www.dominioncarzllc.com/1997_..._179107569.veh

Then replace the chassis & bulkhead, & convert it to RHD at the same time. Seems like the aforementioned upgrades would cost me about $10-15k.

But after doing some research, I am now thinking I'll get something like this in the UK for $14k plus ~$4k shipping to the USA;

http://www.mmperformance.co.uk/land-...sa-exportable/

I'd have my Dad go buy it & do a RORO importation, then replace the chassis & have it swapped to auto & install AC. I'd probably drop a 4.0 or 4.6 in too, for a few more HP and fuel injection.

I looked around, and it appears the AC will likely run me $4k, and the Auto trans conversion another $4k (if I can find a console). If the engine upgrade runs me $5k (probably a new block, may go used) That puts me in the same place $ wise, but it's already RHD, and I can probably get used parts to bring the cost down. The biggest benefit of the UK rig is that I'd have 10 years in which to do the upgrades.

Questions:

-What is the latest & greatest on auto conversions? Is my estimate accurate?

-Should I 'risk it' on a good used 4.0/4.6 or is there a better option? Can the stock 3.5 V8 be injected?

-Are the engine mounts the same for a 3.5 vs. 4.0/4.6?

-What's the latest & greatest on AC? I will definitely need it.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome. This will likely all happen next fall.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I see Uncle Doug has posted on this thread. Have him do the legwork and find the vehicle you want.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
All:

Update: I bought Shan's '86 Ninety SW;

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=44944

I plan to (eventually) replace the chassis & bulkhead, now trying to decide if I want to mate the 3.5 V8 to an auto or not. Roads in the USVI are pretty twisty, with lots of stop & go driving- so I think an auto box would be nice, if it can be done (relatively) simply.

Thanks to all of you who helped with the purchase- I will post pics of her when I have the first round of mods done (should be a couple of weeks or so).

Thanks,

Paul.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions