Chassis swap questions - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 18th, 2013, 06:13 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Please give me a citation for 60% original as a requirement.

I collect this info and have never heard that one before.
I did so much research on shipping my truck. I will post the site once I find it. Maybe this weekend I'll have the source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2013, 10:04 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72

Registry
I can't find the source of the information I've provided above but this discussion is on another thread. Please keep in mind that I researched this matter for over 1 year and it is impossible for me to remember the site.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...180#post408180
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Thank you for looking. The regs are pretty vague as to the cut off.
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
That's why I am hesitant to bring in a truck with a new chassis. Having it refused at port or entry for not being 'original enough' would suck!

Plus, if I put a new chassis/bulkhead on here, I have more control over the quality of work, and what else gets done.

Is there a step by step guide to a 90 chassis & bulkhead replacement anywhere? I have seen some time lapse stuff on YouTube but no detailed write ups?
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:11 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
That may be because the RORO people have to drive it from the drop off point to the ship on a public road. In that case it would need tax and an MOT. For a container it wouldn't matter as it was not being driven.

You don't have to be a resident to have papers for a vehicle however you need to do it in order if you don't have them.

1. Insurance
2. You can only drive to a pre-booked MOT appointment and then home if it fails
3. With MOT and proof of insurance you can get tax disk ( a round paper disk that proves payment ) to display inside windscreen.

A SORN is registering the car to be off road so they don't pursue you for tax ... It's illegal not to tax a vehicle that is used or parked on a public road. Driving on the road with a SORN is illegal.

If you trailer a vehicle around it doesn't need to be taxed however if you tow it ... It would need to be taxed.

Getting insurance as a non-resident may be a little tricky.... There are several levels of insurance ..

3rd party - basically only insure third party costs, doesn't pay out for your vehicle damage.
3rd party, fire and theft. As above but includes fire and theft coverage
Comprehensive - covers all the above and damage to your vehicle..

UK insurance is very expensive especially if you don't have a no claims discount ... A transferable discount for making no claims.

Even though my truck was up to date with it's MOT and tax, I had it towed to the port. I don't think it needed to be tax or MOT.
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:24 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post

Even though my truck was up to date with it's MOT and tax, I had it towed to the port. I don't think it needed to be tax or MOT.
If its going to be driven on a public road from the drop off point to the ship then it must have tax and MOT. This is a legal requirement in the UK. If its towed with wheels on the road then it must also have an MOT and tax. Only if it is moved on a flatbed then it doesn't require MOT or tax.

A vehicle can only be driven on the road to and from a pre-booked MOT appointment without a current MOT and tax.

Tax disks ( a round paper certificate that are displayed on the windscreen ) cannot be bought without an MOT or insurance.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
That's why I am hesitant to bring in a truck with a new chassis. Having it refused at port or entry for not being 'original enough' would suck!

Plus, if I put a new chassis/bulkhead on here, I have more control over the quality of work, and what else gets done.

Is there a step by step guide to a 90 chassis & bulkhead replacement anywhere? I have seen some time lapse stuff on YouTube but no detailed write ups?

Plenty of resources for a chassis swap - think of it as a project of systems and stages and it all comes together pretty simply.

I just make a map out of the parts diagrams to keep track of each system and check it off when each one is complete. When the stack of "to-do" pages is empty and the stack of "done" pages is full the project is complete...
Attachment 65103
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
That may be because the RORO people have to drive it from the drop off point to the ship on a public road. In that case it would need tax and an MOT. For a container it wouldn't matter as it was not being driven.

You don't have to be a resident to have papers for a vehicle however you need to do it in order if you don't have them.

1. Insurance
2. You can only drive to a pre-booked MOT appointment and then home if it fails
3. With MOT and proof of insurance you can get tax disk ( a round paper disk that proves payment ) to display inside windscreen.

A SORN is registering the car to be off road so they don't pursue you for tax ... It's illegal not to tax a vehicle that is used or parked on a public road. Driving on the road with a SORN is illegal.

If you trailer a vehicle around it doesn't need to be taxed however if you tow it ... It would need to be taxed.

Getting insurance as a non-resident may be a little tricky.... There are several levels of insurance ..

3rd party - basically only insure third party costs, doesn't pay out for your vehicle damage.
3rd party, fire and theft. As above but includes fire and theft coverage
Comprehensive - covers all the above and damage to your vehicle..

UK insurance is very expensive especially if you don't have a no claims discount ... A transferable discount for making no claims.
I have a huge advantage in that I am originally from the UK & still have my British drivers license. So insurance & registration shouldn't be a problem.

Current plan is to buy something like this;

http://www.motodrome.co.uk/95n-defen...tdi/4572611681

Insure it 3rd party fire & theft, then store it in a garage (about $500 a year) until it turns 25, then make sure it has a full MOT & ship it here RORO.

Then once it arrives I can start getting it ready for the USVI- galvanized chassis & bulkhead, stainless steel stuff, A/C install, ARB on the front, etc. etc.

Sound feasible?

Edit: Brian: Thanks for the info. Got the T-shirt via eBay- love it!
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:14 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
You are going to store a truck for 8 years????

The rest sounds reasonable ... Although I'd be inclined to have work done in the UK as parts are cheaper if you know someone that could do it.
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
You are going to store a truck for 8 years????

The rest sounds reasonable ... Although I'd be inclined to have work done in the UK as parts are cheaper if you know someone that could do it.
Probably not that long, as I am not quite ready to buy. But if I wait until the 300Tdi rigs are 25 years old, it will be much harder to find a good one with low miles. As for getting work done in the UK, a lot of it I am willing to try myself- and the big stuff (chassis & bulkhead swaps, AC install) I would rather have done here anyway (weak dollar and all that).

I was considering the same plan with a 200Tdi, but I don't think they came with AC?
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The engine and box will seize during the 8 year storage period.
Drips from roof and condensation can kill the BH. Mice will love the safe home you'll give them

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 27th, 2013, 07:27 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Insure it 3rd party fire & theft, then store it in a garage (about $500 a year) until it turns 25, then make sure it has a full MOT & ship it here RORO.
That is a lot of money to spend on storage and insurance. Why not use that money on the truck and bring one over now?
Old January 27th, 2013, 07:54 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

Probably not that long, as I am not quite ready to buy. But if I wait until the 300Tdi rigs are 25 years old, it will be much harder to find a good one with low miles. As for getting work done in the UK, a lot of it I am willing to try myself- and the big stuff (chassis & bulkhead swaps, AC install) I would rather have done here anyway (weak dollar and all that).

I was considering the same plan with a 200Tdi, but I don't think they came with AC?
You can fit AC to a 200tdi

Any truck stored for multiple years will have a whole new set of problems ...
Old January 27th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Spanner110
I
1993 Defender Pick up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
I just make a map out of the parts diagrams to keep track of each system and check it off when each one is complete. When the stack of "to-do" pages is empty and the stack of "done" pages is full the project is complete...
Attachment 65103
I did something similar but it all fell apart when the "to do" lists kept multiplying quicker than I could join all the loose parts together.
I'm now farming out the work to various 'lucky' friends just so I can keep a bit of perspective on the job and not lose heart. And I'm really not going to enjoy fixing the bulkhead.
Old January 27th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
The engine and box will seize during the 8 year storage period.
Drips from roof and condensation can kill the BH. Mice will love the safe home you'll give them
Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. Actually, I was going to leave it in a field with the windows open. Sheesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
That is a lot of money to spend on storage and insurance. Why not use that money on the truck and bring one over now?
It's not really that much, plus as far as I am aware, there is no way to bring a '95 into the US & register it?

Quote:
You can fit AC to a 200tdi

Any truck stored for multiple years will have a whole new set of problems ...
Ok, that really helps. AC is a must, so maybe I'll get a 200 & do it sooner. As for the problems, my dad can go take it for a good run every month or so, get the fluids changed annually, keep the battery up, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner110 View Post
I did something similar but it all fell apart when the "to do" lists kept multiplying quicker than I could join all the loose parts together.
I'm now farming out the work to various 'lucky' friends just so I can keep a bit of perspective on the job and not lose heart. And I'm really not going to enjoy fixing the bulkhead.
That's why I want to buy one soon & save it from a few more years of the ravages of the British weather! I had Porsches for years, so I am painfully familiar with 'While you're in there' syndrome!

Thanks guys!

Paul.
Old January 27th, 2013, 10:44 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Why do you want a '95? It's not much different from an '88 or earlier. Except maybe it has fewer factory galvy bits.

Just swap in the engine you really want.
Old January 27th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Why do you want a '95? It's not much different from an '88 or earlier. Except maybe it has fewer factory galvy bits.

Just swap in the engine you really want.
I'd really like a 90 that had the 300 fitted by the factory. Also want disc brakes all round. Plus I'm not in a hurry to have it (rig will be used when we retire in 10-15 years) so waiting isn't a problem.

I'd settle for a '90-on, especially now I know that AC can be fitted. Pretty sure I can upgrade to rear discs?
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:32 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I'd really like a 90 that had the 300 fitted by the factory. Also want disc brakes all round. Plus I'm not in a hurry to have it (rig will be used when we retire in 10-15 years) so waiting isn't a problem.

I'd settle for a '90-on, especially now I know that AC can be fitted. Pretty sure I can upgrade to rear discs?
yep you can upgrade everything.

In 10 to 15 years you'll be able to get a TD5
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
yep you can upgrade everything.

In 10 to 15 years you'll be able to get a TD5
I thought about that, but a 200/300tdi should suit me fine.

I lived in the Scottish Highlands many years ago. We had a mid-80's Ninety and I took it in for service. They gave me a Defender 90 as a loaner. It was amazing how much of a leap forward the Defender was- smoother, quieter, much more power, and (it seemed at the time) better put together. So whilst I could buy a mid-80's & upgrade the engine, I'd rather start with a rig that is newer & came stock with the 200 or 300.

As discussed in another thread, I suspect the prices of NAS rigs will come down when the true Defenders turn 25.
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:26 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72

Registry
Do your Home Work Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Please give me a citation for 60% original as a requirement.

I collect this info and have never heard that one before.
I'm a bit lat with the response but look at the following thread and you may find your answer.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=44229

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions