Chassis swap questions - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 8th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Because they drive on the other side of the road in the USVI, I want a RHD rig. I have considered buying an NAS & converting it, but I also want a proper hard top, which I don't think was ever imported. Plus, the NAS rigs are pretty spendy.

I have family in the UK so storing one & keeping the MOT up wouldn't be impossible, even for a couple of years.

Ideally I'd buy something like this;

http://www.themanforlandrovers.com/u...3_door_588.htm

Then do the replacement/upgrade stuff. However, most of the 25 yr old rovers I see FS over there are dogs, as has been mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:42 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Ideally I'd buy something like this;

http://www.themanforlandrovers.com/u...3_door_588.htm
Wow, that's a ton of A/C vents!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	64106  
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
you really need a resident of the UK to keep the vehicle registered and pay the tax for the vehicle. If a vehicle doesn't have current MOT or is SORN it cannot be exported.
I do not think that is correct, where are you getting that information?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:48 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
It may have been unique to the RORO form of transport, I am not positive on container shipping.

Basically concerning RORO you couldn't drive a vehicle on if it wasn't taxed ect. I am positive I read it or dealt with it while shipping my truck.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:24 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

It may have been unique to the RORO form of transport, I am not positive on container shipping.

Basically concerning RORO you couldn't drive a vehicle on if it wasn't taxed ect. I am positive I read it or dealt with it while shipping my truck.
That may be because the RORO people have to drive it from the drop off point to the ship on a public road. In that case it would need tax and an MOT. For a container it wouldn't matter as it was not being driven.

You don't have to be a resident to have papers for a vehicle however you need to do it in order if you don't have them.

1. Insurance
2. You can only drive to a pre-booked MOT appointment and then home if it fails
3. With MOT and proof of insurance you can get tax disk ( a round paper disk that proves payment ) to display inside windscreen.

A SORN is registering the car to be off road so they don't pursue you for tax ... It's illegal not to tax a vehicle that is used or parked on a public road. Driving on the road with a SORN is illegal.

If you trailer a vehicle around it doesn't need to be taxed however if you tow it ... It would need to be taxed.

Getting insurance as a non-resident may be a little tricky.... There are several levels of insurance ..

3rd party - basically only insure third party costs, doesn't pay out for your vehicle damage.
3rd party, fire and theft. As above but includes fire and theft coverage
Comprehensive - covers all the above and damage to your vehicle..

UK insurance is very expensive especially if you don't have a no claims discount ... A transferable discount for making no claims.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:28 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
That's what I was thinking; the RORO prices where much cheaper than a single container and the logistics (and IMO customs) were much more lax
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:55 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Ed's truck was most certainly not MOT'd when it left me on the back of a trailer.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:50 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Ed's truck was most certainly not MOT'd when it left me on the back of a trailer.
love it
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Wow, that's a ton of A/C vents!
Pretty hot & humid in the USVI.

Frame replacement prices are all over the board. Sounds like you can lift the body off for a galv. frame swap, but for the bulkhead you have to take the whole bloody thing apart, which equals big $$. I think I'll go galvanized frame & epoxied bulkhead.
Old January 12th, 2013, 12:49 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
For the bulkhead you have to take the whole bloody thing apart, which equals big $$.
A Dewalt impact driver, a good socket and wrench set, and one person can remove the bulkhead in a weekend (and I'm not a big or mechanically gifted guy.) If you're paying someone else to do the work, sure it's big money. But I think it's incorrect to say that replacing the frame is somehow easier than replacing the bulkhead. It's not.
Old January 12th, 2013, 01:18 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:

Less than 25 years old is really borderline impossible. First of all it needs to be converted to LHD and meet the saftey specs of a NAS truck, its never going to be worth the expense and the work has to be done by a RI, meaning you have no real options and are really at the mercy of the RI.
Storing a vehicle before shipment is difficult as well, you really need a resident of the UK to keep the vehicle registered and pay the tax for the vehicle. If a vehicle doesn't have current MOT or is SORN it cannot be exported. I imagine a dealer could hold onto it for you but that's not free and the dealers in the UK aren't idiots, they know what they can get for a truck that is exportable.

figure a RORO delivery will cost anywhere between $2500-$4500, container rates about the same unless you can piggyback or share space in one, but there is always the possibility that the EPA folks will make your life hell (hence my preference for RORO). If someone purchased a truck for $8000 and paid $3000-$5000 to ship it you can see how you arrive at $15-20K pretty quickly.

------ Follow up post added January 8th, 2013 09:49 AM ------

If you want a v8 then why not buy a NAS truck? they are certainly approaching the reasonable price range (especially if you are looking at replacing a frame ect).

I mean, I reached across the pond for the diesel :D
You're so on point. I just imported one in June 2012. I paid less than what was stated above but it cost me a lot of gray hair.
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Spanner110
I
1993 Defender Pick up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
A Dewalt impact driver, a good socket and wrench set, and one person can remove the bulkhead in a weekend (and I'm not a big or mechanically gifted guy.) If you're paying someone else to do the work, sure it's big money. But I think it's incorrect to say that replacing the frame is somehow easier than replacing the bulkhead. It's not.
Ain't that the truth I'm up to my neck in a chassis swap that is rapidly becoming a private hell, and this is before I even look at the bulkhead which has holes in all the wrong places.
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
If you want a v8 then why not buy a NAS truck? they are certainly approaching the reasonable price range (especially if you are looking at replacing a frame ect).
I really want a RHD hardtop. By the time I bought a LHD & converted it to RHD & added a hard top & rear seats, I'd probably have run up higher costs than buying a RHD SW & replacing the chassis? Plus, I am starting to think 300Tdi instead of V8. If I can find a 300Tdi automatic SW I'd be happy- replace the bulkhead & chassis & I'd be set.
Old January 16th, 2013, 06:37 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72

Registry
Quote:

I really want a RHD hardtop. By the time I bought a LHD & converted it to RHD & added a hard top & rear seats, I'd probably have run up higher costs than buying a RHD SW & replacing the chassis? Plus, I am starting to think 300Tdi instead of V8. If I can find a 300Tdi automatic SW I'd be happy- replace the bulkhead & chassis & I'd be set.
I see 300tdi selling on eBay from time to time. When I was looking for a truck, I really wanted a 300tdi engine. I was not sure if I could ship the truck to the USA for the engine must be a least 21 y/o. Instead, I end up settling for a 2.5td. If you're going to convert from a 2.5td to a 300tdi you would need more than just an engine you'll need a conversion kit which consist of a radiator and other items. RHD gets a lot of attention and it is fun to drive here in the States. The lights in the NAS D 90 are set up differently that the Euro spec. Good luck in your search.
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
I see 300tdi selling on eBay from time to time. When I was looking for a truck, I really wanted a 300tdi engine. I was not sure if I could ship the truck to the USA for the engine must be a least 21 y/o. Instead, I end up settling for a 2.5td. If you're going to convert from a 2.5td to a 300tdi you would need more than just an engine you'll need a conversion kit which consist of a radiator and other items. RHD gets a lot of attention and it is fun to drive here in the States. The lights in the NAS D 90 are set up differently that the Euro spec. Good luck in your search.
I have heard that the difference between 200 & 300 is minimal. That said, If I buy a 200 I can have it sooner (2015/16) and will have more time to prep it before heading to the USVI. I am pretty sure I am going to put a galvanized bulkhead & chassis on, just trying to decide whether or not I can do the work myself. I regularly see 90s advertised with 'no rust' but I find that hard to believe after 25 years in the UK!
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:07 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72

Registry
Quote:
I have heard that the difference between 200 & 300 is minimal. That said, If I buy a 200 I can have it sooner (2015/16) and will have more time to prep it before heading to the USVI. I am pretty sure I am going to put a galvanized bulkhead & chassis on, just trying to decide whether or not I can do the work myself. I regularly see 90s advertised with 'no rust' but I find that hard to believe after 25 years in the UK!
Hay, I'm from The USVI. I'm from St. Thomas. I use to live up in Bovoni, Nada. It's good to meet you. I can't wait for you to get a truck. We could meet up when I visit The VI.

If I was in your situation, I would do the work in the UK- That's what I did before shipping my truck to the USA. I have a very good mechanic in Kent, UK who is very fair and cheap. He does very good work. Doing so, you save a lot of money.

Inspect the truck once all work is done. Take Photos. When they ship the truck to you, make sure the boat do not past PR. My shipped a car from NYC to St. Croix and had parts stolen from the car in PR. Sometimes the boat stops in FL then changes to a smaller boat before shipping the car to The VI. Stay on top of things. If buying things on eBay UK, many sellers do not ship. They believe in collection only. You will have a very hard time having people ship t the VI. It's hard having things shipped here in NYC. Therefore, you would need someone like family or a mechanic to pick up the item or have it shipped to them. As you go along you will see what I mean and you will thank me. PM me and I will give you my number. We'll talk
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
Hay, I'm from The USVI. I'm from St. Thomas. I use to live up in Bovoni, Nada. It's good to meet you. I can't wait for you to get a truck. We could meet up when I visit The VI.

If I was in your situation, I would do the work in the UK- That's what I did before shipping my truck to the USA. I have a very good mechanic in Kent, UK who is very fair and cheap. He does very good work. Doing so, you save a lot of money.

Inspect the truck once all work is done. Take Photos. When they ship the truck to you, make sure the boat do not past PR. My shipped a car from NYC to St. Croix and had parts stolen from the car in PR. Sometimes the boat stops in FL then changes to a smaller boat before shipping the car to The VI. Stay on top of things. If buying things on eBay UK, many sellers do not ship. They believe in collection only. You will have a very hard time having people ship t the VI. It's hard having things shipped here in NYC. Therefore, you would need someone like family or a mechanic to pick up the item or have it shipped to them. As you go along you will see what I mean and you will thank me. PM me and I will give you my number. We'll talk
I am afraid that if I buy a 90 in the UK with all the work done (new bulkhead, chassis, possibly different transmission, etc. ) they may not allow it into the US. Plus I can do some of the work myself if it is in the USA.

As for shipping, we plan to have a sealed container shipped down there- and will avoid PR! We plan to move down there in 10-15 years- plenty of time to buy & set up a 90.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:19 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Paul, in 1995 they made 500 station wagon defenders in manual and 1997 they made over 1000 station wagon defender full aluminum hardtops in automatic, not soft tops for the US market (all left hand drive)
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:13 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72

Registry
Quote:
I am afraid that if I buy a 90 in the UK with all the work done (new bulkhead, chassis, possibly different transmission, etc. ) they may not allow it into the US. Plus I can do some of the work myself if it is in the USA.

As for shipping, we plan to have a sealed container shipped down there- and will avoid PR! We plan to move down there in 10-15 years- plenty of time to buy & set up a 90.

Thanks,

Paul.
That truck must be 60% original. as long as the truck engine and tranny is original your pretty much ok. You have to do your homework/research. The engine must be 21 years old or older. You have to look things up. I did it without this site. I'm new on this site but I did months of research. Good luck.
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:38 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Please give me a citation for 60% original as a requirement.

I collect this info and have never heard that one before.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions