Chassis colour... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 27th, 2009, 11:37 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Chassis colour...

I'd like to hear your opinions on chassis colour. I have a new one being built by Richards right now and they can powder-coat it prior to shipping.

Is gloss-black the only real choice for a chassis other than leaving it bare zinc (which I'm not a fan of mostly for durability so a clear-powder coat would be an option too I suppose).

Would it be just too strange to get one done in say white? The body is going to be done in a black or a pearl-black with a white roof and the wheels (NATOs) in white with polished chequer plate (may be painted later).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Do it in hot pink.....I dare you!

Seriously, I'd go for a about a 60% gloss black, that way it looks good but does not detract from anything else.
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Do they have MUD as a color choice?

Eric

IMO Black would be best.
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Bare zinc is very durable. Just clear waxyoyl if you are really concerned about it.
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I would go with orange, yellow or blue. Just for variety.

Old February 27th, 2009, 12:00 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Matte black frame. keep it simple. I think the ugliest trucks are painted all one color. Car designers know what they are doing, keep it within their color schemes.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:04 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Well, I'll go with gloss black I think then if just to make it easier to wash the mud off it from time to time. I guess if it was going to be khaki or sand coloured body, then a matching frame would make sense too.

The white roof is almost more about keeping alive in the sun as it is about looks

I think I'm mostly just getting anxious to get my hands on the new chassis so I can start putting things back together. 8 weeks just seems like a long time to wait, but I guess it does give me time to finish some of the other bits like sewer capping the front axle, and sending both housings for galvanizing.... so much to do

Old February 27th, 2009, 03:01 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
I have seen vehicles with frames powder coated gray that look really good. The color hides dust a dirt and looks great when clean. It would go well with the black and white theme as well.
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:28 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Powder coating sand color...
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:35 PM
AGS
Geoffrey Souter
NAS 110

save the money and leave it bare zinc - it is a great look that screams form follows function
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I like the grey idea actually, match it to the galvanized colour but protect it from the various acids that eat up zinc. It will get clear waxoyl on the inside for sure, I haven't decided on the outside yet though. With all the corrosion I'm fixing up I'm probably a bit overly paranoid about having to take it apart again to fix more later, but then since this one is for highway/DD/expedition I'm also anxious to pick up something to build strictly for off-road so I can sell of my D2 (sadly at a horribly overall loss I'm sure, I really shouldn't have listened when people said importing a 110 would be too much work) and work on a 100 ST.

Old February 27th, 2009, 10:28 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I also like the galvanized look

However I have never heard of a galvanized frame having issues with corrosion here in North America? Maybe Mike from ECR or someone from the east coast can chime in with their experiences.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions