Chassis bolts. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2009, 11:56 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Chassis bolts.

Does anyone happen to have compiled a list of the bolts needed to assemble a rolling chassis? I have an A2 Stainless kit for most of them but it does not include things like the ones that mount the steering box, etc, and on most of the parts diagrams they just seem to be labeled "bolt" which is less than useful. If I wait until I get all the parts together I can of course work them out one part at a time, but of course that will result in a whole lot of trips to the fastener supply place. so any help would be great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:21 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I don't have a list per se, but having a stock of certain things will get you 90% of the way. I don't know things like dimensions and thread pitch off the top of my head for stuff like the steering box bolts and the radius arms etc, but here is a list to get you started. If you buy all this you won't have to run to the store too much and you'll have some stuff left over. This is just intended for the chassis, the body will require more. Remember that each bolt needs a nut and at least two washers...

M8x25 (Stainless OK) - 25
M8x110 - 10
M10x30 - 20
M10x55 - 10
M10x110 - 10
M12x20 - 10
M12x100 - 5
M12x180 - 4

All except the first should be grade 8.8 or 10.9

Old October 13th, 2009, 07:18 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Andrew if you can verify this list, or even add to it (pitch, perhaps where used, etc) I'll do the leg work of wiking it. There are enough of us doing projects on these things that none of this should be a mystery and it should be a quick lookup for the next guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
add a small pile of M6 x 25. Also don't forget the thread pitch when you wiki as that is important too. Don't use SS for stuff like PS boxes either. Andrew didn't you take a truck apart for this project?
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Yeah, I took it apart... I made some mistakes along the way with how things were sorted etc though and the shop has been re-organized since so most of the things I am good on, but there are just a handful I am not sure of but need to replace. I know the PS box bolts are M12, but I am not sure of the length, but because a pile of parts are still boxed waiting for a trip for galv pulling everything out to dry-fit is a bit of a pain.

I will try to document what I used where though. Basically I am using SS from A2 Stainless for the ones they recommended/provided in the chassis bolt kit, and genuine for the suspension bolts, there is just a handful of others to check. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment and there are a lot of interdependent things outstanding at the moment that I need to get done/back from people doing work, etc.

Thanks.

Old October 13th, 2009, 03:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

As JimC says, I would not use stainless for anything that matters. PS Box, even the big bulkhead bolts I would use normal 8.8 or 10.9. Only thing I would use stainless for is the body and fenders and such and all of them are common sizes albeit in some they are fairly long (like the ones that go through the frame to attach the front fenders).
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:02 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The first I've run into trouble finding is the SLU to chassis bolts, they seem to be M10 (M12 will not fit) by 170mm or so. LR has them but special order and for some reason require a minimum order of 10 at $8 each which is a bit nuts (oh that is without nuts ).

Could someone confirm they're M10x170 grade 8.8?

Old October 16th, 2009, 07:17 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Ha ha - I didn't re-fit the self-leveller, but yeah, those things were really long. I think you are fine if you just order up some metric bolts that fit.

Old October 25th, 2009, 10:57 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Hi guys,

Where are you guys buying all this? Do you have a source for the US? Is there a place like A2 in the US? I got no luck at home depot/lowes/northern tools. Thanks

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

www.mcmaster.com
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:43 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wanted to revive this thread to see if anything else was ever done with this. I am preparing to replace all of the bushings in my truck and plan to replace the connecting bolts along with any others that look to be less than optimal in the drivetrain and chassis. Other than the obvious of ordering a bunch of everything, has anyone been able to finalize a list, especially for the odd sizes?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bolts