Chasing trons - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 24th, 2016, 08:05 PM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
Chasing trons

So my weekend project was to add a KBX grill and headlight surrounds while upgrading to LED marker/turn/brake lights (from Mud UK) to my 1991 LHD euro spec 200tdi Defender.

Grill was straight forward, one headlight surround needed a little trimming to fit, nothing crazy.

Before I started on the lights I searched the forum and read as many of the threads I could find on problems others have had as to try and avoid any of the same issues.

End result is I installed all of the lights, one by one. At each step I op checked every light to as to try and catch issues as they popped up versus at the end when it was too late to know where the problem came from.

Turn signals went in on the front and back with no issues. All worked all at all the appropriate times with no issues. I was unable to install the fender turn indicator lights as the set I received from Mud did not match the type I have on the truck. I'm assuming this is a model year issue that I didn't see when ordering. So those are still incandescent. But everything worked with the turn switch on the steering column and the hazard switch.

Left brake light installed and worked fine. All turn signals worked fine.

Right light I installed with out pre-checking the wires as I was on the last light and figured they would match as all the other ones had. Well I wire it up and screw it in and neither brake light works. I pull it back out, swap the two leads (leave the ground on black) and now both brake lights work perfect under all conditions. Even the third brake light that is bolted to the inside of the top of the rear door works as it did before.

BUT, now the rear passenger turn signal is not working.

I'm assuming everyone is going to say check my grounds. I added a fresh ground to the rear passenger turn signal and it did not remedy the situation. Before I start tearing things apart and trying to add new grounds does anyone have any advice?

The other symptoms that occurred with the last light going in are:
- The trailer light on the instrument cluster is constantly illuminated (it only illuminated momentarily at start up before)
- The fog light indicator on the instrument cluster illuminates (dimly) when the LEFT indicator is selected.
- The rear fog light is not illuminating when switched on (not that I care. If I can find a solution that results in this going a way, i don't mind)

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2016, 09:01 AM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
I pulled the dash turn signal bulb with no change. So I put it back in.

I then pulled the fog light indicator bulb just to see if that would work and the driver rear blinker stopped working. Replaced bulb and drivers side rear is working again.

I have no clue where the ground issue is, anyone have any advice?
Old September 25th, 2016, 12:11 PM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
So, problem solved. Occom's razor prevails.

I added fresh grounds to both tail lights as those were the last thing I messed with and that didn't solve the problem.

As I was sitting there in the back of my truck staring at the massive tangle of wires behind each tail light (who knows how many PO's messed with stuff back here) I saw a single green wire with a male connector on it that I did not remember seeing exposed before. So I ran the meter at the failing light again. This time there was no voltage. weird because I know I had good voltage when I tested it prior to installing the new light. When I was installing the last brake light I must have pulled loose the positive feed to the turn signal. I found the female end and check it had proper voltage, plugged it in and everything is working fine.

Something else I learned:
- For euro spec vehicles with the rear fog light, pulling the dash bulb (or it burning out) will impact the rear turn signals. If the bulb in the light is removed the signal lights are impacted as well. I'm not sure where the cross over is, but the mix somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2016, 10:36 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Your trailering indicator is still on constantly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old September 29th, 2016, 11:50 PM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Your trailering indicator is still on constantly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
No, I was able to solve that by adjusting the flasher relay that came with the kit. I'm guessing that was due to some resistance issue that the adjustable relay was involved in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions