Chasing leaks, Engine Rebuild. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 9th, 2016, 02:51 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Chasing leaks, Engine Rebuild.

Hey all. I wanted to get some opinions. I have a 95 D-90 that I have owned since 2001. I have been gradually replacing a lot of stuff on this truck, but lately I cannot seam to get leaks to go away. I was chasing an oil leak on the front end of the truck, and it got fixed recently. Then the power steering hoses started to fail, fixed. This weekend, I was driving it around some and started to notice my small occasional drips of fluid were getting gradually bigger. From the top of the truck, the engine is really tight and clean. Under the truck on the driver side however it looks like oil is starting to come out of the side rear end of the block. It is dripping onto the lower round 2" cross member. Anyway, I have always fixed stuff, but I have never considered an engine rebuild, or a head gasket job. I feel as if overtime I find a fix, it causes another week link to become weaker. Wondering if an HG job would get me back on solid footing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2016, 02:56 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Isn't ignorance bliss? Had you not fixed the first one you'd not be looking as attentive and as often. You're on a slippery slope now my friend.
Old May 9th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Also, at that location it could be engine (RMS) or trans oil (input shaft seal), or clutch slave cylinder (brake fluid). Make sure you know what is coming out.
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2016, 03:47 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
you own a truck made 21 years ago that probably has never had its seals replaced and so you are the stuckee. grin and bear it

as for headgaskets, what that has to do with an oil leak i have no idea. like the other guys have said , you really need to figure out where the oil leak is coming from. it could be a valve cover gasket...who knows
Old May 9th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Every rover 3.9 - 4.6L I have seen leaked from the rear main seal area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 9th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
H Under the truck on the driver side however it looks like oil is starting to come out of the side rear end of the block. It is dripping onto the lower round 2" cross member.
Like the other guy said, pressure wash/degrease-whatever and check closer.

Could be the crucifix seals---which is sorta close to a rear main seal but is not a rear main seal.
That is a known leakage area in older trucks.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, rebuild