Chasing a Coolant Leak - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 6th, 2012, 03:17 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
Chasing a Coolant Leak

Hi all,

Hope someone could chime in. It started as a coolant leak from the expansion tank hose leading down. I changed out all the coolant hoses... still leaking. Changed the expansion tank which stopped the leak.

But now it's leaking from where the bottom radiator hose connects to the water pump which was a newly installed hose. And also from the other smaller hose on the bottom radiator to what I think is the manifold. See pictures.

I've reseated the hoses and tightened the clamps, burped the system but still some leaks. Any ideas how to stop or what's wrong? Truck running in good temp and no wild fluctuations. Driven 100-150 miles... still little leak. It's not coming out the weep hole.

Thanks. 97 NAS SW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-May-06,-12-06-56-PM.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	51174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-May-06,-12-07-12-PM.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	51175  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I would check to see if the cooling system is over-pressurizing? With the cap off the expansion tank do you see a bunch of bubbles in the tank with the engine running?
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:02 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
Hmmm. Just tried that and no bubbles. If I can guess what you are getting at, I just had my head gasket done less than 6 mo ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

One of the past problems that I have had was I couldn't get the hoses to stop leaking. It seemed that the new overflow tank cap was bad. I replaced the cap and all is well. No bubbles in the expansion tank is good. You can use some permatex? on the hose connection surface. It is the stuff that remains flexible. If the surface where the hoses attach is a little corroded it may be letting coolant escape.
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:28 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

I had a a brand new OEM bottom hose with a pin hole leak in it. Couldnt find it until I grabbed the hose and saw the leak. Not sure if that helps, but crazy shit does happen.
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Seems like it is pressurizing. Replace the cap on the tank, but I am betting you have a block or head issue or the head gasket repair is bad.
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:54 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam

Registry
Thanks... expansion cap is new (got with the new expansion tank), radiator cap is new brass one with new o-ring seal as is the hoses. I pinched the hose and the leak is indeed coming out where the hose ends over the water pump... as if there was something causing a gap there. It's not a lot and you have to really squeeze.

I might try the Permetex. Is there any other thing I can check regarding the block or head issues?
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You can get an exhaust gas tester at NAPA or a lot of shops have them.

If it is really just there, you should pull off the hose and clean off the metal under it. Sometimes coorosion builds up and prevents the hose from fully sealing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant