Defender Source Forum banner

Charcoal Canister/Evaporative emission control

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Eric Siepmann 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever replaced their charcoal canister? The maintenance schedule says it should be replaced at 105k.

I've been smelling fuel by the passenger rear tire where the fuel expansion tank is. There is an atmosphere relief valve that only opens if there is a blockage in the charcoal canister or purge system. (from workshop manual pg.17-3) So I guess I have one of those problems.

The parts are ridiculously expensive at Atlantic British for what seems to be generic part. Do all vehicles have these systems? If so, I would think something off a GM truck would do the job and be MUCH cheaper.

And speaking of emissions equipment, anybody find a cheap part to replace the flame trap(PCV Breather Filter)? I tried to clean mine the other day and the wire mesh inside is rusted and still a bit gunked up. It looks like it's only a wire mesh dish scrub stuffed inside the canister, maybe I could just yank it out and find suitable replacement.

#2 ·
And a bit more about the PCV Breather Filter...when I took it off to clean it there was some serious dirt/grime/sludge directly below it. I had to scoop it out with a screwdriver. probably could have used a spoon. I don't know if this is normal for an engine with about 90k but it definitely didn't look good.

#3 ·
The charcoal can, not sure if that would be causing the extra smell but it is possible. However I would look in the area of the smell for corroded hoses first and any other visible damage. Might be a clogged fuel filter causing strange things. And atlantic british is always seriously overpriced. Usually a charcoal can gets replaced because the charcoal can't absorb any more, or possibly because of a busted valve. To be honest, it looks like it's just a normal 2-hose evaporative cannister. One for the vent, one for the vacuum.... but I don't know what else might fit and cost less. Some GM emissions parts have been getting kinda pricey, even if it is compatible at all. Have you called down to George at Rovers Down South? Might have it for cheaper.

The PCV if it hasn't been changed in a long time they can look like that. Since it's not found on the rack at the local cheap-o-autoparts they don't get changed too often. Sometimes you can clean them out with some carb cleaner spray and get them working again but I'd just replace it. DAP has it for $25.00, which ain't too bad.

-Hans

#4 ·
For fuel smell you could easily have cracked hoses in the filler area, or the plugs on top of the tank where the evap breathers attach could be letting fumes by. The filler vent tube on my truck cracked which was a simple fix with a piece of fuel-proof hose.

#5 ·
I tried spraying some carb cleaner into it and even letting it soak, but I don't think it was really clean. I'll probably just change it.

And along with the fuel smell the other day I heard a hissing sound. That's why I thought it may have been the atmosphere relief valve causing the smell. I'll have to check through all the hoses to see if anything is cracked.

#7 ·
If the hose size is correct, it should work fine. Just an earlier version of the same part. But I don't know if it will fit in the existing hoses or not.

The hissing sound, where was it coming from? Under the hood? Could be a vacuum leak.

-Hans

#8 ·
The hissing sound was coming from the fuel tank area. I could hear it standing by the passenger side rear tire. I assumed this was the relief valve that is connected to the hoses coming out of the tank for the evaporative control stuff.

BTW Hans, thanks for all your comments, you've been a huge help.

#9 ·
I replaced my evap canniser as it was leaking air. I had the engine hooked up to the test book and the code was an air leak as opposed to a replace the cannister code. Smoked the engine and sure enough the cannister was leaking air.

Expensive indeed! Quite a bill to get the check engine light out to pass emmissions..... But it has been leak free since. That has more to do with replacing the head gaskets and all the hoses though...

EwS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.