Charcoal Canister - Capped Line Safety Question? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 7th, 2008, 09:49 AM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489
Charcoal Canister - Capped Line Safety Question?

I have disconnected and capped off the hose (canister side and plenum side) from the charcoal canister to the plenum as an experiment to see if a frustrating ‘rough running’ problem goes away on my 93 NAS 110. After the driving the truck last night and this morning it runs much smoother. Because the problem is intermittent (randomly smooth then rough/coarse running) I am going to replace the canister purge valve/solenoid which appears to be sticking/stuck in the open position.

I have ordered the solenoid but it will not arrive for about 2 weeks and I have a trip planned for the truck. Question … can I leave the hose from the canister plugged for a few weeks? Will fuel accumulate in the canister and either cause damage or worse create a fire/safety issue? Should I open up the hose occasionally to vent the fuel?

Rich K.

Old July 7th, 2008, 11:30 AM
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel
It should be fine, it will either build up pressure in the tank or vent to the atmosphere. You could run it straight to the plenum if you felt so inclined but that may bring you rough running problem back.
72 Series III 109 SW Diesel, 03 RR, 98 Porsche 986, 01 Porsche 986 3.6 L

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions