Defender Source Forum banner

Changing timing chain, TDC, and the crank pulley assembly question

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  airbornrover 
#1 ·
I'm about to pull the stock timing chain off this weekend in prep for a new cloyes roller chain. I have the engine at TDC( valves closed, #1 piston at top of chamber and stays closed through the power stroke). the raised notch on the cam gear is at 6 o'clock and the indent on the crank timing gear are 12 o'clock. The notch in the crank pulley assembly is also at 12 o'clock, but the TDC marks is somewhere near 10'clock.

I'm confused. I've done a ton of searching online to try to answer if this is even an issue. I would have thought that TDC marks would have been at about 12 oclock as well(roughly). I've done work like this before but on an old ford inline 6 and a vw rabbit.

1. Is this normal and the notch pulley assly is TDC? If so, why are the marks off to the left?

2. The crank pulley is set to allow to advance or retard +_ 4 deg. at the crank and 2 deg. at the cam. Would it make sense to advance the crank for more low end or better to just set it up stock?

3. Am I not truly at TDC for this motor? I'm using driver side bank front cylinder as #1

I really appreciate it.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.