Changing timing belt 200 tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 14th, 2016, 12:29 PM
1991 Defender 200 tdi
Changing timing belt 200 tdi

Hi all,

I have my Defender stateside now (I will post photos soon) thanks for all of your help so far. I want to change the timing belt because I don't know the service history on it. Is there anything out of the ordinary which could potentially stump a mechanic or is this a pretty straight forward job? The engine is a 200 tdi. Thanks!

Old September 14th, 2016, 12:45 PM
1991 D90 SW
I just went through this exact case myself. I did the timing belt myself, with assistance of my mechanic friend.

Some things to note....

1. It is a good time to do water pump, thermostat, coolant hoses if needed. Everything but thermostat has to come off anyway.

2. Make sure you get good quality parts and seals. Dayco belt, OE belt tensioner, Corteco seals etc

3. A viscous fan spanner will help getting the fan off. I got one for $18 off eBay. LINK

4. They sell a injection pump timing pin kit, and flywheel timing lock kit on eBay for about $10. This will make sure everything is timed correctly. Buy it. LINK

5. Removing the crank bolt, and pulley can be a real hassle. Mine wasn't bad, but I heard it can be. There is a specialty puller for sale for this on eBay if you feel the need to buy it. This kit includes the timing pins mentioned above so you wouldn't need both. LINK

6. Now would be a good time to replace inner crank seal, and camshaft seal. While the cover is off you will have pretty easy access to them.

7. Make sure he follows the manual on setting timing belt tension. You have to set it, turn engine over, and then re-set it again. Not a big deal, but follow the book.

I have done a few other timing belts before. This was about as difficult as a Honda civic. Maybe easier because once you get the fan/shroud out of the way, you have a lot of room.

Old September 14th, 2016, 12:45 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
Make sure you get the genuine workshop manual (you can download it) and read it carefully. Make sure you use OEM parts.

Here is a writeup: Defender 200TDI timing belt change - Land Rover Technical Archive - LR4x4 - The Land Rover Forum

If you have a Discovery engine, the procedures are different and you will want the Discovery manual.
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:17 PM
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top
Added to the above comments. I use rtv on both sides of the water pump gaskets and the timing cover area. Also a thread sealant is a good idea for the bolts in this area as they are subject to water.
Old September 14th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
Use antiseize when putting the water pump and cover bolts back in.
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work
Old September 14th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Robert Davis
You'll need the special tools as seen in the video below.

You'll want to replace the water pump as well and the head gasket and rework the head if needed.

Since the front cover and lid contains coolant flow and when a head gasket blows it pressurizes the cover and ruins the gasket... fixing this requires you to tear the whole front off the engine to renew the front cover gasket (to fix the coolant leak).

I pull the head, have it checked for cracks & flatness, check the valves, replace the valve seals.
If head work is need, we do it then often installing new valves and guides and having it skimmed.
Then we install the head with new gasket and new head bolts, injectors, and glow plugs are checked and replaced as needed.
Then install the front cover, timing belt and water pump.
Sounds like overkill, but it's better than doing a timing belt, then having the head gasket blow, and then doing the head, and then doing the timing belt a second time.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)
Old September 16th, 2016, 01:10 PM
1991 Defender 200 tdi
Thanks guys! I will print out those instructions to give to the mechanic & I will have those seals done as well while the cover is off. Thanks for the suggestion of the tools Adam, I wish I had read your post more carefully the first time because I wound up buying the kit from Rovers North & it was $120!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions