changing the fuel filter - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 16th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
changing the fuel filter

going to change the fuel filter this weekend and was wondering if anyone could give me some basic instructions on how to do this or is it as simple as pulling the hose off both ends and swapping... Do i have to pinch the lines or do something to prevent air getting in the line? Seems simple but I just thought i would ask anyway. Thanx

Old August 17th, 2006, 07:09 AM
1995 SW #487/500
when i do it i usually start the truck and pull the fuel pump fuse and that seems to get a little more fuel out of the line. its simple your threads might be siezed try a little PB Blaster. Its easy to do as far as fuel loss you might spill about a cup or so just dont be smoking when you take the lines off.

Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old August 17th, 2006, 07:09 AM
'95 D90 SW#106
switching the fuel filter is pretty straight forward. Some slight fuel spillage is un-avoidable, so make sure you follow standard safety instructions for fuel related repairs. (disconnect battery, something to catch spilled fuel, no flames etc.)
I disconnected and connected one end first, then the other. Make sure the filter is directionaly oriented (it's marked for fuel flow direction). Wrench carefully as you do not want to damage the lines.
Old November 25th, 2006, 03:05 PM
94 ST
How often do you need to change this filter?
"It insists upon itself" Family Guy
"Your Defender insists upon itself" Dave Parker
Old November 25th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW
I think it's every 30k but I don't have tghe manual in front of me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions