Changing oxygen sensors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 29th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
Changing oxygen sensors

I searched but could not find a good answer to this question. I ordered new oxygen sensors and the socket tool from AB. I figured out how to unplug the sensors and I have squirted the sensors with PB blaster.

What is the best way to take the sensors off?

It looks like the right one is accessed from the top and the left one from below??? It looks easy enough, but for some reason I am expecting a fight with these.

Oh yeah, 95 3.9L GEMS engine. For what is worth the O2 sensors have been in there for 272,000 miles......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Craig,
First off, congratulations on such high mileage. You must take good care of the motor.

The o2 sensors are just threaded into the y-pipe. Over the years the threads have rusted. Soak them with pb- blaster like you have been. I have smacked the nut of the sensor while it was hot to loosen.

Good luck...
Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:25 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Break them loose with your little O2 sensor tool snip the wires off the old sensor it will make them easier to unthread. I use a little anti seize on the new ones. Good luck, congratulations on the high mileage.
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2012, 09:07 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Craig....original motor, no rebuild? Is tht right? Please - what's your secret!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 30th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
Original motor, no rebuild, just head gaskets once. Change the oil every 3,000 miles use Mobil 1 synthetic primarily highway miles. I also drive like an old lady.

I think these vehicles like to be driven. The 90 was my primary driver for most of its life and now that my wife does not drive I get to pick between two other vehicles to drive every day. My 90 now gets driven about once a week and it rewards me by needing new O2 sensors.
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

With that kind of mileage, I'd be shocked if they came out easily. In addition to penetrating oil, consider being ready with a torch too (something other than propane), MAP or oxy. You'll probably have to heat the y-pipes until they are really toasty before those things break loose. I'm not sure what AB offers by the way of a socket, but you may opt to cut the wires on the senor and use a full socket to twist them out, then use your sensor wrench (or just an open wrench) to put them back in.
You may want a six-pack nearby too. Just a thought.
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I just wanted to update the results. Found that when using the O2 socket tool from AB you have to set the socket wrench to tighten, as the offset nature of the tool causes the tool to twist backwards.

Anyway, I was very lucky.

Took about 20 minutes of fiddling around to figure out which way I was turning and the right side came off. Left side took maybe 3 minutes. I am sure having a Colorado rust free truck helped things. It went so smooth I forgot the beer. Reset the light and so far so good.

I have not checked the plugs yet but do you think the right bank is fouled?? I suppose it goes without saying that if I change any plugs I should do them all.
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:04 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Any fouling will clear if it's running right
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:31 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
Wanted to give an update because many times we never hear what the final result is. Anyway light came on a few days later so I took the truck to a reputable Rover shop. They checked my o2 sensor installation and determined that they were installed right and working. Cleaned Coil contacts and PVC stuff and reset base idle. Truck ran like a champ for about 100 miles and light came back on and started running rough again.

Took it back in and they checked the usual's and thought it may be clogged fuel injectors. I do have 273,000 miles on the engine.

The shop gave me a can of BG44K to dump in the fuel tank when i refueled. Ran a tank of gas through and so far so good. I reset the light and after driving on and off for the past two weeks everything appears to be working. The truck is also running well with no more idle issues.

In hindsight the o2 sensors were probably okay but at least now I know they are new.
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:35 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Good to hear you got it running.
273k...very impressive

Old November 1st, 2012, 03:37 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I always like to change the oil after using those fuel system treatments, esp the BG.
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
The oil change is good advice. Will do.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 04:38 PM
red&yellowrovers
Joe Still
95 D90 NAS 3.9l ST AA Yellow #2719

GEMS in a 95? I thoguht that was 97. js

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
sensor