Changing oil in the R380, do I need to replace a ring like the engine drain plug? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 6th, 2013, 11:24 AM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Changing oil in the R380, do I need to replace a ring like the engine drain plug?

Just curious if I need to get a cooper ring for the 380 drain plug similar to when I changed the engine oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2013, 03:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Maybe a good idea, but mine have never leaked and I have not replaced them.
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:00 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Take the old ring/washer and sand it by hand with a little oil on a piece of 300 or 400 grit sandpaper and it will be better than a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2013, 09:04 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Permatex...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaughva View Post
Just curious if I need to get a cooper ring for the 380 drain plug similar to when I changed the engine oil?
There is a low spot sort of like an o-ring groove that will hold a permatex gasket maker seal as well as the copper washer.

The sanding is good advice as well.

We fill with an Amsoil MTF94 synthetic equivalent...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:29 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post

There is a low spot sort of like an o-ring groove that will hold a permatex gasket maker seal as well as the copper washer.

The sanding is good advice as well.

We fill with an Amsoil MTF94 synthetic equivalent...
Robert, do you use that blend in other trans applications as well. I'm wondering about lt77 and lt95's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:43 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Yes and Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Robert, do you use that blend in other trans applications as well. I'm wondering about lt77 and lt95's.
I use the synthetic Amsoil MTF94 equivalent in the LT77 and LT95 as well.

For the LT77 Ashcroft recommends ATF Dextron 2 or 3 and every LT95 I have taken apart had oil in it. Usually 90 wt, but have seen lighter oils like 20/50 which Leyland motors recommended for the MGB.

My experience has been that the LT95 develops noisy bearings when filled with 90wt, but this is less common with the synthetic Amsoil MTF94 equivalent.

One thing is for sure the the synthetic Amsoil MTF94 equivalent will leak where no 90wt leaked before, so it is a good idea to replace any questionable seals.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, drain, drain plug, engine, r380